• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

white face gauge overlays

sigtauenus

I was looking at Craig's gauges and thought they looked kind of neat.

72_13_02_09_8_20_25.jpg

Question is, is this a permanent type overlay, ie, if you decide to go back, have you ruined the face of the gauges and they'll need to be re-faced?

I have a factory trip speedo/tach set-up and am concerned about messing them up, but reality is both are being sent to the tachman for repair and I was going to have him reface them anyhow. If I do the overlays, I don't need to pay for the refacing and then can have them refaced if I ever decide to go back to the stock look.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I still have some overlays in the garage if you want them. IIRC, there are a couple pieces of double sided tape on each one. I doubt they would hurt the gauge face when/if you remove them.

Yeah, i know how that goes. Would you believe that after 10 years of buying parts and putting them in different spots I've found 2 brand new ignition switches, 3 brand new headlight switches, 2 service spec decals, etc, etc. Sometimes its nice to have spares on hand of high failure items, such as starter solenoids, but sometimes I think I lost my mind.

My cluster didn't have a factory tach. The instrument cluster was a standard 67 cluster. I bought a 67 Cougar tach cluster on ebay for $45. I put the tach in but it took a little fabricating. The Cougar cluster depth was different than the Stang. I had to make the "cup" deeper. I also put a 68 oil pressure gauge in the where the clock was. The 67 had the oil pressure in the large cluster and in 68 they switched it with the fuel gauge. Since I gave up the oil pressure gauge for the tach I thought it would be good to add the 68 gauge. The faces didn't match and the overlays didn't cover the black so i took them apart and painted them white first. I also painted the rings on the bezel white as well. In my case they are permanent. Here are some pics.
mvc045szt8.jpg

instrumentcloseuptr6.jpg

2842869_68.jpg

2842869_69.jpg

mvc043sbh1.jpg

mvc046sga3.jpg

mvc002sox2.jpg

I also changed the bulb covers from blue/green to red/orange and to make the faces all match I painted them white before the overlays.
mvc069stj7.jpg

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

photodisplay.php

smalldashwithredlightscw9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back