• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading? Updated...pics added!

A

Anonymous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYzkvY7ZNJE

1st session went just fine. 2nd session....ehhhhh, not so fine. As we were coming down the front straight on the 3rd lap, the little 289 crankshaft decided he'd had enough. Hard to tell what all was destroyed. Oil and water was everywhere. The damper and pulley are about 1 1/2" closer to the radiator and at about a 22 degree angle. I'm just thankful that it didn't lock the rear wheels up. It was around 100 mph and just before Alpha Zero, which is a small hill on the front straight. The car gets pretty light on that hill.

Maybe Skip got some video, he was behind me when it gave up the ghost. I think I'll put a diesel engine in it now.

On a good note, a guy from Wichita drove up in his new McLaren MP4-12C to break it in properly. That is one bada$$ ride!

photobucket-1695-1334191468452.jpg

photobucket-1340-1334191438089.jpg

photobucket-1569-1334190337372.jpg

Re: Who wants to see video of a 289 grenading?

Ya know.....we had a guy in our local Mustang club that had issues at the drag races.....Called him Capt. Breakin' Sh*t......

Gonna take the tractor next time huh....

Sucks man.

You got to be kidding me. You just can't seem to keep an engine alive. That really sucks.
Bill

At least the tractor keeps on running!

The explosion was so violent that somehow, the tr-bar pony emblem on the driver side front fender went bye-bye. I have no idea where it ended up.

Here's what Redline 30 wt and water look like.

"Mach1ne" said:
Here is what it looked like to me. Unfortunately my camera setup makes things look further away than they actually are.

He blows up just at the start of this video. I saw the puff of smoke and got off the gas. Spent the rest of the day running over his fan belt every lap.

Jeese, run over my parts all afternoon...that hurts man! I'm just glad you were not right behind me. I almost would have felt bad for oiling up your purty car.

Wow that sucks, but then I guess you're used to it by now right?

"RapidRabbit" said:
Wow that sucks, but then I guess you're used to it by now right?

Sadly, yes.

was that your qualifying engine or the race engine? did you get to race your back-up car at least? oh wait, wrong series. If you want to switch to Chevy's I have a Camaro I'll trade you...

Damn, that sucks. :censored

And you want me to drag MY pos out there, because?????? :hide

Ouch! One question though, no well chosen expletives when it let go?!

Very sorry to see that Mark. Making fun of some broken pieces is one thing, seeing the crank like that is sad. You are fortunate that no spinning, flipping or wall tagging happened after the motor let go. I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble. Hang in there.

"Opentracker" said:
Very sorry to see that Mark. Making fun of some broken pieces is one thing, seeing the crank like that is sad. You are fortunate that no spinning, flipping or wall tagging happened after the motor let go. I hope you get it fixed without too much trouble. Hang in there.

Same here Mark. That sucks man !

My condolences. That really sucks mark. How long do you have to the next track day? Whats the plan now?

Bummer.....Have a pile of parts you might be interested in?
was that a cast crank? Seen this a few times usally snaps at the 2/6 or the 3/7 location.
Dropped a valve at 120....so smoke no warning ....wheeeeee.

Back