• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Who will help me to choose all the parts for the electrical system? (1968)

atevres

I'm trying to compile the list regarding the installation of my fast 68GT 302J.

In the various catalogs there are many parts, but I'm afraid of making the wrong choice and be with missing or wrong.

To clarify I would describe the accessories which can mount and ride on that:
- Door Speaker Grille & Light Kit - this we have in the house with his electrical system inside the doors
- Fog light: complete with cable and their internal switch under the dash
- Speedometer: I took a minitach be mounted in place of the clock in the center dash. (Question: should I buy the complete kit and interior dash with or without the speedometer? According to me that without tachometer. System with the speedometer will be for the standard type Shelby ..)
- A / C (I have to complete the missing parts I have at home to make the order of necessary)
- NO NO overhead console and floor console
- Interior courtesy lights under the dash, such as brackets? The 'electrical system is complete? (Of this I want to clarify that I ordered from Scott Drake LED lights for the entire series of interior lights, are compatible with the 'original plant?)
- Rear lights: I want to buy this kit LED: http://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-drake- ... /p/TLBCIN/. This is to improve the brightness rear. It 'compatible with the system without modification?
Headlamp: Halogen Headlight H4 I bought. I want to make the electrical system front relay (this: http://our67mustang.com/blog/2011/upgra ... eadlights/) but I do not know if I still order the original system for the front lights.

Ok ok too many irons in the fire and then burn everything, so let's go step by step.
Summary I want to buy all new cables for the electrical system.

Thanks to all :wor

I ordered all new parts and electrical system as OEM '68 no A / C and GT option.
I will change ralay wiring for the front lights (with halogen H4), and I also took convesione 3 bulbs for the rear lights.
To intern dash lights and courtesy I took the series led.
Will install on the dash and a minitach I think I understand how to connect with his system not present in the system OEM.
My question now is how to improve charging system? Which alternator / regulator / power combination is best for a configuration of reliability? :shrug
I have read of many regulators and defective spindles (my friend acuistato 3 alternators in 2 years from Mustangsunlimited, regulators Autolite .. and this leaves me very very very puzzled ...) :confu
I want to mount an electronic ignition Pertronix also changing all the distributor. What?
I want to install new alternator. Which one?

I ask you advice on how to improve entire electrical system of the car, both of which charge maintenance with one eye towards reliability.

The discussions on this forum for the electrical components are numerous and very professional, but the risk of getting lost in the speeches of topics that do not understand, but because I see it also speaks of track car.

Thanks for all your advice. :Mark

Simple. Buy one of everything. Two, if you think you'll need to. Whatever you don't use, return for a refund.

Note: This answer is a little "short", but I was overwhelmed with too many questions within the same post. Try breaking the questions down into simpler form and separate posts for better responses.

The GT option is wires for the original tach and your mini tach will not use the pink resistor wire. I think you want non GT but not sure then how that is wired for fog lights.

I have H4 bulbs with relays and built a mount under my battery tray it's awesome. I used Reen Machine's kit it was good but expensive. The wiring harness was way too long but Indisnt cut it and left it long. I didn't like the bulbs so sold them to David67. I ended up buying parts from Daniel Stern and really recommend him.

I don't like the Scott Drake rear tail bulb conversion as it requires cutting your harness. I like the LED kits from Mustang Project. Much easier to install although it can rotate every now and then just something to keep an eye on.

I have almost all led bulbs, turn signals, parking lights, tail lights, most interior bulbs, dash, over head console. I put special turn signal controllers for the led bulbs one main controller and one for hazards.

Ultimately I'll have all led in the car as any remaining bulbs go out.

Sorry I just need to keep reading your post to answer more things.

I have the Scott Drake door grill light kit. I didn't install led bulbs since the regular bulb was included and I didn't have time to hunt them down. The kit for perfectly and the GT wiring harness was wired for the door lights.

I should add that I have all new wiring harnesses throughout the car. GT non AC just like you mention.

So like I said I have all new wiring, everything!! My Pertronix is wired to a switched 12 volt source. Don't power it from the coil.

I made a special wiring adapter that I needed to run the original tach and bypass the link resistor wire for the Pertronix. If you need help post here I'll find pictures for you.

You can wire the Pertronix with a kill switch if you wanted.

So as you can see I have everything you have listed and asked about and I use a stock rebuilt ford alternator and have had no problems at all. The LED bulbs draw less power so I figure its fine.

Hey one more thing, install a quality electronic voyage regular not a mechanical. I put a concours correct cover on mine and nobody would ever know its not an original mechanical voltage regulator.

Also use a quality starter solenoid, I went with MotorCraft I think.

You'll want good battery cables and a good engine ground strap.

On the Pertronix wiring I actually cut the original harness up and ran new wires for the Pertronix power but taped it all back up for a stock look.

I know English is not your first language and I admire anyone who can speak (or type) in a second language!
I don't know if these links will be helpful or more confusing but try to read them and see if they help (maybe you already have). We will try to help!

Headlight relay link (I did this on my 67 and was pleased with cost and outcome rather than buying a kit/harness), since I have done this one myself I can answer any questions
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... 113.0.html
Schematic.jpg

PerTronix link (I have not done this but looks like the details are all here) I run a Duraspark II system, I can help with that if you want.
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... 151.0.html
pert72.jpg
pert7212.jpg

3G alternator upgrade (it's for 65 but similar), has internal regulator and more amps (I have the parts to do this, just haven't done it yet)
http://www.stangfix.com/testforum2/inde ... 141.0.html
3Ginstall.jpg

Mini tach article (looks like a stock non tach cluster and wiring is what you need for the mini tach)
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/mum ... ewall.html
0703_mump_14_z+ford_mini_tach+wiring_simplicity.jpg

Let us know if this helps and any "specific" questions. We will do our best to answer them, good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Back