• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Why you need some kind of cage in a track car

I've seen enough crashes/rollovers personally in my racing career to have enormous respect for the energies involved and the safety equipment we use.

I was just coming up the 5 yesterday, on the way home from Knotts, and hit a slowdown south of downtown LA and, lo and behold, there lay a late model (don't know the brand) upside down in the number two lane. I drove by only ten feet away and the car looked completely intact and normal, save for being on its roof and air bags deployed. Testament to the engineering and materials in late model cars.

I've had a roll cage in my race car since the 1970's. Fortunately, it's never been tested. Came close a few times (out of shape in liquids) but no crashes. That video describes it accurately. Things don't happen in slow motion when you're in it. Everything happens in an instant. If your reactions are slow, you have a bad day. Glad he was 'I'm OK'. Cars can be replaced.

Thanks for sharing that Mark. I have had my own experience with brake line failure - happened on an offramp of 101N. Not near as graphic.

I need to get a cage tho and remove my spear steering shaft, get 5 point harnesses, etc, etc.

Living life on the edge, learned by working for Hughes Aircraft/Raytheon for 25+ years.....

I've only had a rear line go on my old 71 Bronco. At the time I was only going maybe 30 in the country, so it was no big deal. I sure as hell don't want it to happen on track :scar

I've had the braided lines on since I finished the car in o4. Called Shaun up last week and have new ones on the way!

I have a 6pt bolt in cage in the 66, is it the best, no way....can it be better, yes. I just didn't want to install a welded cage that would be there forever....just in case I quit tracking the car.

Back