• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wife went shopping

tarafied1

Some of you may know my oldest son/grand daughter saga, others may not. Long story short we have been dealing with trying to get my son on his feet for a long time. He recently decided to try his luck in Chicago and moved up there with the grand daughter. So taking the baby and all the cost we have incurred "helping" them effected our ability to go on the Power tour (not going).
So needless to say my wife has been very depressed. She had quit her job to raise the baby and sitting around the house didn't help. Well she has found work again so that is good, but she has still been very sad.
A while ago we traded our 2001 F150 for a 2000 Expedition and a 93 LX convertible Mustang. My now 16 year old son has claimed the vert and the Expy has 239,000 miles and all the associated annoying problems with a neglected and worn out vehicle. I fixed a lot of it's issues but the wife was just not happy with it anymore. Not to mention really bad gas mileage. We needed it to tow our 27' camper which we recently sold so now we don't "need" the truck.
I have said all that to say, my wife found a Mustang the other day and she fell in love. She wanted it real bad and worked out a trade for the Expy. We picked it up Monday.
It's a 99 GT 4.6 5-speed. It has 125,000 miles but was owned by a girl/woman so it's not been abused too much. It was sideswiped at some point and has filler in the right rear quarter. The drivers seat is worn (leather) and it has a bad tint job. The Dome light stays on and it idles too fast. I think the dome light is a stuck switch and the idle is maybe the IAC valve. The tint we can have redone. I had to fly up to Canada again so I haven't had any time to mess with it but I think I can fix the quirks.
Anyway, most women buy new shoes or something like that. Mine bought (traded for) a Mustang! She is "happy, happy, happy" now. A/C, cruise, tilt, power steering, PB, PW, power seat, AM/FM cassette & CD stereo. She has been driving it every excuse she can think of. She even said maybe we could afford to do the power Tour in this Mustang since it gets better MPG and runs on 87 instead of 93+ (I am not holding my breath). here is a picture of Mustang Sally
547595_584373721587742_1428598169_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Can't go wrong adding another pony to the herd. Keeping the wife happy never hurts either.

yes, happy wife, happy life!

she started this car shopping spree by looking at a mini-van. I think she just wanted anything else but the Expy. I really made her made when I didn't want anything to do with a mini-van! I told her it was her vehicle to drive so if she could make it work then go for it but don't expect me to get too excited. She test drove it and it was a real pile of pooh. I'd like to say I didn't influence her decision but I'm sure some how I did. She found this car on her own and made the deal herself. It's got some issues but I can say it's much better than a mini-van!!!
I had a 2012 rental car Mustang and I made the mistake of bringing it home for her to drive. We both have wanted a "newer" Mustang but we didn't want a car payment so this is a good compromise.

"Grabber70Mach" said:
Looks good always nice to add a new one to the stable.
Thanks. I never paid much attention to this body style. I, like most people, love the 05 and up retro looking Mustangs. I have had fox body Stangs before and of course classic Mustangs. I have found since my wife decided this was the one for her, that they are pretty nice cars. It's really fun to drive! It has an aftermarket exhaust and sounds really really nice! I don't know what brand but it sounds great. I love the 5 speed too. Makes me really want to put one in my 67!
I know it's "her" car but I am already thinking about how I can modify it!

Re: Re: Wife went shopping

"tarafied1" said:
Thanks. I never paid much attention to this body style. I, like most people, love the 05 and up retro looking Mustangs. I have had fox body Stangs before and of course classic Mustangs. I have found since my wife decided this was the one for her, that they are pretty nice cars. It's really fun to drive! It has an aftermarket exhaust and sounds really really nice! I don't know what brand but it sounds great. I love the 5 speed too. Makes me really want to put one in my 67!
I know it's "her" car but I am already thinking about how I can modify it!

If it still has stock gears some 3.73's wakes them up nicely. Also a TB and tune dies good.

Congrats!

I'm sure she'll enjoy the car.

My wife is enjoying the '01 Vert we bought her...I was just happy to get rid of the Cruiser.

Torn up seats are fixable. The driver's seat in the '01 is a little torn. Had duct tape on the one larger tear as a short term "fix" but the tape came off and afraid the tear is gonna really run.

I've been looking for some seats on Craigs List but haven't found any. Think I'm going to finally break down and buy the whole upholstery set from CJ Pony.

Thinking about changing the seats in ours from grey to black since the interior is already two tone grey and black.

the kit from TMI is almost $1,000 !!!
I have been looking on flea bay, gonna try some pull-a-part places too

"tarafied1" said:
the kit from TMI is almost $1,000 !!!
I have been looking on flea bay, gonna try some pull-a-part places too

Yep...I've been dragging my feet hoping to find something gently used.

Could kick myself in the butt. Spotted a set of front and back seats right after we bought the car but they were a little far (was pretty busy that weekend) and a little pricey so I thought I'd take a pass and find something better.

Well, they sold overnight and all I've since then is torn up trash in no better shape then what we have.

"RustyRed" said:
Still on the hunt for seats and all I can say is good luck finding any without ordering the TMI upholstery.

This ad was posted today, contacted him about the seats and they are already sold.

http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/3778927016.html

I'm pretty much about to give up and just buy the darn seat covers....
I haven't been looking too hard yet but I'm going to check some pull a part places close by...

"tarafied1" said:
I haven't been looking too hard yet but I'm going to check some pull a part places close by...

Might be an idea...I haven't been looking super hard but keeping my ear to the ground. Think it will eventually come down to being in the right place at the right time.

Been busy of late with getting the TA to run right, getting an issue fixed on her convertible top, etc with the little bit of car time I have. Rest of my time is taken up with the boys' million and one activities.....

Currently, I'm waiting on a part for her convertible top and just generally getting ticked off at the TA. Runs great with the Vac advance disconnected / plugged but hook it up properly and dies when you put it in gear. Vac advance is new and so is the hose connecting it to the carb. Not a vacuum leak far as I can tell...can choke it out by covering the primaries at idle so can't be any huge leaks for it to suck air in through...Getting ticked off at it but if I disconnect the vac advance the new Holley carb has a lot more punch to it then the old Qjet had. Thinking it might be a timing issue...Will get it figured out but got frustrated with it Saturday and had to walk away, LOL! :roll

Found some seats....they were asking $544, I offered $475 and got em with free shipping.

Should have offered $450 :confu

After I sell off the light grey seats that are currently in the car I should net pretty low on net cost.

And also figured out why the TA wouldn't run....I'm a moron and plugged the vac advance into a ported instead of a manifold vacuum.

Still waiting on parts to fix top...call me lazy but if I have to take the back seat out to fix the top I'm probably gonna wait till I have everything to both fix the top and swap out the back seat all at once. Even though it takes maybe 5 minutes to remove and reinstall the rear seat :shrug

Back