• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Will this clear?

RustyRed

I was thinking of buying some new tires / rims and going with 15x6 on the front.

Will this clear on the front of a '66 coupe without doing something along the lines of rolling the fender?

"tarafied1" said:
6" is no problem, what's the BS?

I can't say that I know. I am running the disc brakes on the front with 14.5 (basically stock) rims / tires right now.

It's about time to replace the tires and a couple of the wheels have corroded spots on them. Thinking of buying one of the kits from CJ Pony.

I've considered going back with 14's again but wouldn't mind buying the kit that has 15x6's on the front and 15x7's on the back...looking at the styled steel wheels to keep it looking somewhat stock.

"tarafied1" said:
I think that sounds cool. My dad has that combo of Magnums on his 66.

So basically worse case I might have to change my back spacing some?

When I bought the car it still had the stock drums on the front. I changed that out with the chockostang (sp?) disc brake kit. That was a huge win and really improved the braking. Sure couldn't complain on the price compared to what John's Mustang wanted for a similar kit.

What tire size are you looking at? I've got 225's on my '67 and they're fine, but I've read that they might be an issue on the front of a '65-'66. I think 215's are generally fine. I think the 15X6 rim will be ok as well. The backspacing on the SSW's should be like stock (4.25?).

Frank

The rim is fine and running a 215 should be ok. You "may" have a slight, very slight rub when making a hard turn out of a gas station or something. Depends on the front bottom edge of the fenders.

Cool...what about 15x7's on the back with 225/60/15...think they would clear?

My hunch is they would but not certain.

I have 15x7 rims on the front and rear. 205/60/15 in the front and 215/60/15 in the rear. No rubs anywhere but the rear tires are close to the inner wheel well. Oh, and I have 4 1/4 backspacing.

Should be no problem.
Here are 15x7 Keystones (3.5" B.S.) with 205/60-15s all around on my lowered '66, no rubbing:

023-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"RustyRed" said:
Cool...what about 15x7's on the back with 225/60/15...think they would clear?

As long as you have good springs. Soft springs and unrolled fender lips will allow the tire to bark at you when the car dips.

Look at my Styled Steel Wheel thread for a lot of these answers...it was a tough decision, but I finally decided what was best for me. Coker, Mustangs Unlimited, Specialty Wheel, etc all said that the 15x7 wheel with 225/60-15's are the most common upgrade. The 225 will give you that cool sidewall bulge, but you can do a 205 or a 215 and get a higher and straighter sidewall for a more stock look.

I would consider Specialty Wheel and Coker if you did not make a purchase yet. I can give you the contact names if you need really good customer service.

Back