• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Will this water pump pulley work okay?

GTchris

I picked up a single belt water pump pulley C8AZ-8509-A.

I think it will be okay but, just wanted to make sure.

My car is a '67 with a 390 w/ mostly '68 parts used on the engine, manual steering, no AC

Thanks all.

My car has been running really warm and I had someone look at it. They told me that I have the wrong pulley. It's too large and because of this my water pump is not running fast enough.

He told me the correct pulley is a C60E-C but a C8AE-F would work

I found the correct water pump pulley. Installed it today and the car is running a bit cooler at speed. There is a big event in downtown tonight down Main Street for classics to cruise.

The car starts to run really hot as soon as we get in stop and go traffic. The car is running really good now, the carb is dialed in, now I have temp problems. What to do, think I am going to sell it.

I will give you $5,000 for it cash money today! I will even wait with cash in hand till you overheat at cruise the gut today. :)

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's funny, put a zero on the end if that and I would get rid if it in a heartbeat.

I did not even make one pass on Main and we had to find somewhere to park. Went and had dinner, let the car cool off and left right away and it was running really warm on the short drive home.

Gotcha covered, $5,000.0

Are you sure the water pump is spinning the correct way? Lower hose collapsing?, thermostat stuck?

How and where are you measuring the temp?

Kind and size of fan? Shroud? What temp t-stat? Big block radiator? Have you made sure there is no air pocket in the block?

"Sluggo" said:
How and where are you measuring the temp?

Kind and size of fan? Shroud? What temp t-stat? Big block radiator? Have you made sure there is no air pocket in the block?

I am looking at the stock dash gauge to determine temp, which was verified as accurate as a stock gauge can be when compared with a infared temp gun. In addition I think if you can hear water bubbling in the hoses I imagine that's a pretty solid indication it's running too hot.

Stock fan and fan clutch, stock fan shroud, 180deg thermostat, new 3 row big block re-pro radiator. There are pictures of all of this in my build thread.

The clutch fan appears to be working as it should.

I am thinking that I might have an air bubble.

When I initially filled it with fluid I did so with all the hoses hooked up with the exception to the upper heater hose. I filled it up until water poured out of that hose. I hooked that hose back up, I then drained the radiator and dumped in 8 quarts of coolant and some water wetter.

Raise the front of the car as high as you can. Take the rad cap off, run it a little, let it sit. Do this a few times and refill to the bottom of the neck making sure all the cores are covered. Does sound like an air bubble.

BTW, have you confirmed that the water is flowing correctly? I replaced a pump one time and the fins were backwards. It never would cool since it wasn't moving the water!

An air pocket could be the problem. It's a son of a bitch to get mine bled if I crack it open.

You said you have 8 qts of coolant in it. Is that diluted at all? If not, that may be a problem. Mine runs it's coolest with about 20% coolant and a bottle of water wetter.

The manual says the cooling system capacity for a 289 is 15 quarts, I could not find the info for a 390. It's currently has 50/50 in it and I added the water wetter.

I was guessing when I said 8 quarts of coolant but, that should be pretty close.

Back