• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wire harness

kb3

As the 65 Fastback heads to the paint shop tomorrow, I need to start gathering the pieces for its return. I am curious as to what after-market wiring harness have been used. The car will be far from stock, so I am not really needing to go back with a stock harness. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

I have rewired both Red and Shag using Painless. Wires are nicely labeled with decent instructions. Modern fuse box, etc. You will need to salvage a few connectors from your original harness so don't toss it away.

I looked at the Painless and the American Autowire. Both fairly expensive, but complete. The body shop suggested Kwik Wire. A lot cheaper but does not have any of the connectors. For the $400 difference, I think I might be able to find the connectors and switches. Maybe a certain wiring guru on here can help me source them???

http://www.kwikwire.com/wh_22Circuitstreetrodwiring.html

I reused my underdash wiring but sliced in a Painless fuse box. This upgraded me to blade fuses and provided several new circuits for radio, alarm, keyless entry, etc. This worked well and seems about the same as the kwik kit you mention. The wiring on the fuse box is not as long but they are only $50 -$75 from Summit.

"kb3" said:
I looked at the Painless and the American Autowire. Both fairly expensive, but complete. The body shop suggested Kwik Wire. A lot cheaper but does not have any of the connectors. For the $400 difference, I think I might be able to find the connectors and switches. Maybe a certain wiring guru on here can help me source them???

http://www.kwikwire.com/wh_22Circuitstreetrodwiring.html
Certainly.

Have NO clou .....................but CMAYNA has some experience with Painless.Isn't it Craig !

I reused my underdash wiring but sliced in a Painless fuse box. This upgraded me to blade fuses and provided several new circuits for radio, alarm, keyless entry, etc. This worked well and seems about the same as the kwik kit you mention. The wiring on the fuse box is not as long but they are only $50 -$75 from Summit.

I like the idea of the current style fuses and the extra circuits. Was that a tough job? Does the new fuse box mate with the firewall connector or are both sides of the OEM fuse box spliced to do this?

The job was not difficult as there are not many wires in the original fuse block. There is no connector for the fuse block. You cut the wires going to the back of the factory box and splice in the new box. I used solder and heat shrink on all the connections.

Ok, on a 70 model the OEM fuse box mates with a plug on the firewall side that is connected to the headlight harness. I have plans for power windows, door locks, power trunk release, stereo with amp, etc. Will have to ck the Painless site to see how it interfaces with the headlight harness

Will have to ck the Painless site to see how it interfaces with the headlight harness

I can't speak for the '70 model, but for 65-68 the Painless kit would include the headlight harness as it would be incorporated into the overall harness.

Be careful of "street rod/one kit fits all" type of wiring kits. These can be used, but the frustration level is definitely higher than when using a Painless kit. The Painless kit is specifically built for each application whereas most all of the aftermarket "EZ-wire" type kits are generic wiring kits based upon a GM car. These type of kits have to be adapted for use... with most of the headaches at the steering column harness connections.

As with anything else, you're going to get what you pay for. I've always used Painless harnesses and have no complaints.

The early model stangs have simplified connectors, so these harnesses would be somewhat straightforward. The later cars, such as 69/70 have many specialized connectors that would have to be cut and spliced into the new Painless/American Wire harnesses. Anotherwords, a TON of splices unless you source the connectors and plugs (headlight, wipers, fog lamp switch, A/C, etc). I'd be leery of an upgraded harness with that many required splices, unless they come with many of these connectors already. I seem to recall these connectors being reproduced but am unsure if you can buy them in small quantities (repro 69/70 harnesses are now available, so connectors are being reproduced). This response is geared toward MikeTyler

I can't speak specifically for the 69-70 cars, but when using a Painless harness with the 65-68 cars, most/all of the original connectors are retained from the original harness. A pin extraction tool is used to remove the original wires from the connector and then the new harness is pinned and assembled using the original connector. It's a time consuming process, but it beats cutting and splicing the old container onto the new harness.

"daveSanborn" said:
I can't speak specifically for the 69-70 cars, but when using a Painless harness with the 65-68 cars, most/all of the original connectors are retained from the original harness. A pin extraction tool is used to remove the original wires from the connector and then the new harness is pinned and assembled using the original connector. It's a time consuming process, but it beats cutting and splicing the old container onto the new harness.

This is where the American Autowire may have an advantage. Their harness comes with new connectors and switches. I have found it online for the mid $500s, not bad when compared to the nearly $800 for the Painless through some Mustang vendors.

I have used painless for over 6 years and appreciate the service we get. We retail there kit for $599 in our store. It is the 67/68 mustang kit and includes,ignition switch,connectors and harness. I recommend soldier and heat shrink even though they include the connectors. The dash harness is nice as well as it includes the bulbs, and all leads to add a tach.

Back