• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wiring Issues Still

So i worked on more of the wiring last night and what I discovered is the following:

Problem 1:

I bolted the ground for the lower dash, put the + on the battery, dome light on, pull the light switch, ignition light comes on, I turn the light switvh and dome light stays on. I test the door jamb switch and theres continuity so thats working but dome light still wont go off.

Problem 2: I turn the car in accessory but nothing happens, not sure why until I looked at the ignition switch, which is wired wrong, All the connections are sodered so Im gonna try melting that soder and pulling the connections off. Does anyone now what color 977A should be on the attached pdf.

Problem 3: Also on the attached pdf ive clouded the engine temp switch & oil temp switch, where are these located is there a seperate harness for these?

Problem 4: Theres an arrow for 904 (Violet) I dont have a violet coming from my firewall out.

Attachments

• DS1.pdf
    448.5 KB · Views: 5
Pro 1... Did you close the doors?

Pro2... Look at the charts color index.

Pro3... Yes a seperate harness gos to the eng for oil/temp/coil it is a flat 3 wire plug end on it.

Pro4... The violet wire comes from the brake dist block to the key, thru the inst cluster and back to the block.

1. Most likely, your dome light is attached to a green/yellow wire instead of a black/blue wire plug. Green/yellow is always hot, and it switches on the black/blue system when the door is opened. You can also activate the black/blue system by turning the headlight knob all to one direction.
2. 977A is a violet wire.
3. This is a separate harness, called a gauge harness, that attaches to a three-prong plug coming out of a firewall grommet.
4. Are you sure you have the appropriate headlight harness that must be used with a tach dash? This wire is not there when you have a non-tach dash. If the latter, you have the wrong diagram for the internal wiring.

"Midlife" said:
1. Most likely, your dome light is attached to a green/yellow wire instead of a black/blue wire plug. Green/yellow is always hot, and it switches on the black/blue system when the door is opened. You can also activate the black/blue system by turning the headlight knob all to one direction.
2. 977A is a violet wire.
3. This is a separate harness, called a gauge harness, that attaches to a three-prong plug coming out of a firewall grommet.
4. Are you sure you have the appropriate headlight harness that must be used with a tach dash? This wire is not there when you have a non-tach dash. If the latter, you have the wrong diagram for the internal wiring.

1. I will check the wiring and see if the dome lights wired correctly.

2. Thanks Mid 977A was missing from chart for some reason

3. Ill have to order this harness.

4. I have no tach so I dont need the wire.

Yessir.

If a wire number has a letter at the end, the color of the wire is the same as not having a letter.

Back