• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

wiring/soldering technique?

hbar

I'm about to tackle the "make your lights brighter" project. Relays & all that in-hand. However, I've read enough snarky posts here to now know that crimp-on connectors will make me the subject of much ridicule. So....can anybody either tell me or point me to a write-up of the proper automotive wiring techniques? Like, if one is to not use crimp-ons, what sort of connectors does one use?

thanks

Electricians are always arguing soldering vs. crimping---there appears to be no right answer.

My concern with crimping is the use of insulated crimpers that you find in part stores: their quality is awful. I use uninsulated crimpers and use professional grade tools and shrink tubing.

My take on the argument is that crimping is far quicker to do. Soldering is great, but you have to clean the joint because of the flux in the solder. With time, it will corrode and many hobbyists do not know to clean their work.

Depends on what and where the connection is.
For ends with ring or spade type ends I use slight crimp, then solder and heat shrink covering the crimped area.
For straight splice, solder and wipe with thinner then heat shrink tube.

Yes this is more time consuming this way but, The finished look and reliabilty is what I'm after.

"Midlife" said:
Electricians are always arguing soldering vs. crimping---there appears to be no right answer.

My concern with crimping is the use of insulated crimpers that you find in part stores: their quality is awful. I use uninsulated crimpers and use professional grade tools and shrink tubing.

Well that is promising. I know my soldering skills are lacking. So where might I acquire non-insulated crimpers? Local would be great, because I can tackle the project this weekend. But if I must order online, please reveal your source.

Find a really good electrical supply store in your area; they may carry them in stock. I use Panduit brand uninsulated butt splices and ring connectors. To crimp them properly, you'll need a ratcheting crimper, not the hand-held multi-purpose crimper.

i'm with mid on the use of non insulated connectors & the shrink sleeving. done it that way for years & never had one come loose. in a pinch, if you cant find the non insulated connectors, you can get the insulated ones available everywhere & simply push the connectors free from the plastic insulators with a #0 phillips head screwdriver. it's a pain, but would only take about 5 mins to do a handfull.

"Midlife" said:
Find a really good electrical supply store in your area; they may carry them in stock. I use Panduit brand uninsulated butt splices and ring connectors. To crimp them properly, you'll need a ratcheting crimper, not the hand-held multi-purpose crimper.

What should one look for in a good quality crimper? Brands, price ranges etc? I just searched google for "Ratcheting terminal crimper" and found plenty, but some are as cheap as 20, some over 100 dollars. Obviously the old adage of "you get what you pay for" holds true...but I won't be doing hundreds of crimps per day, just a few here and there. I believe in buying decent tools, but not overbuying just because the cool stuff is out there.

What should one look for as an indicator of a tool worth getting vs. one to avoid? Thanks.

Steve

For your use, get the cheap to mid-range price. I pay about $60 for my crimpers.

Back