• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Woodgrain options for 68 Console

sigtauenus

I am putting in a deluxe interior into the fastback, and would like to put woodgrain applique on the console overtop of the camera case finish to match the dash.

I have yet to see anybody selling that overlay.

Anybody seen it?

If I get some woodgrain applique and cut my own out, should I fill in the camera case to get it to stick good, or is there enough surface area on the bumps of the camera case for it to stick good?

From the factory, woodgrain and brushed aluminum overlays were not applied over camera case. I believe that years ago I tried to apply an overlay to camera case and didn't have very good results. Adhesion was a problem due to the grain of the camera case. If you must apply wood grain.... I'd attempt to smoothen the camera case with a sander rather than fill in the voids with an epoxy.

If you're looking for one, I happen to have a non-camera case instrument cluster.... but I believe it's for a '67.

Thanks Dave, I'm good to go for the instrument cluster, I need a wood overlay for the base of the 68 console. Or at least I'd like one to match the wood on the dash. I think it would look weird to have woodgrain on the dash and camera case on the console.

Have yet to do it but bought some !/16" thick vinyl(or whatever) floor covering strips that are 4.5" wide by 36" The wood grain is called "Sierra Plank Cherry". You can buy them loose, not a whole package. Got them at Lowe's. They were cheap.The grain, fine texture, and color is really nice. They are easy to cut, easy to work with. You would make your own patterns so it's not like the pre-made pieces that can vary from car to car. The brand name is Cryntel. The wood grain in my 68 stinks. A friend gave me some new repo camera case pieces-will be using those.

Back