• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Wow, just about the stupidest thing I have ever seen done...

caspian65

Been playing around with a '67 convertible recently. It had a bunch of work done at a restoration shop by the previous owner in the past 6 months. Need to re-paint the engine and engine bay, so was taking a few bits out here and there. It had one of those Autolite plastic covers on top of the battery, no big deal, remove the clamp and pull it off. WOW!--Some genius thought it was fine to just remove the plastic covers on the Interstate battery and place the Autolite cover on top. That's right, just put the cover over the top of an OPEN battery. Thank goodness the car had not been driven much. There was acid on top of the battery and on the bottom of the plastic cover. The holes have greenish corrosion forming in them. This has got to be the single most stupid thing I have ever seen done on an early stang!!!!

:char :char :no

That is not only really dumb but dangerous too!

Good thing you didn't get asny of that acid on your skin.

I've always wondered when I'd see a battery in that condition. Lucky for you Charles that it didn't explode all over you and the car.

Doesn't say much for the restoration shop.

Wow, I have seen some weird stuff done, but that takes the cake!

Mel

"caspian65" said:
Can't really blame this on the PO as it was a restoration shop here in NC that did it!

Sounds like the first shop that had my car.

My guess is that you will find the resto shop hired a new guy who they told to put this (Autolite cover) on top of the battery. And seeing that it was a battery cover...took the reall ones off. :shrug

I am a little disappointed. I thought they would have cut the entire top off, not just removed the caps. LAZY!

I'll bet the PO followed the advice provided by a MCA Gold Card Judge who is well-respected...

Back