• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WTF moment today

I noticed one of the rear tires looked low this morning and since the valve stems are on the inside of the wheel I would pull the rim off, air it up and wipe down the inside of the rim. While I was wiping it down I knocked off one of the stick on weights they used to balance the wheels. :wtf SO I put the rim in the trunk and haul it up to Discount tire where I had them mounted and balanced. I was sitting inside waiting and watched the guy roll it out to the car and put it back in the trunk. When I walked to the car I popped the trunk to make sure they put the valve stem cap back on, they had. The wheel looked a little dirty from grease but figured I had to clean them anyways. When I get home and unload the wheel to put back on the car I noticed the nut job at discount used what looks to have been a metal hammer to reinstall the center cap after they balanced it. :wtf. The center cap is powder coated just like the center of the wheels..... After I put the tire back on I took the Mustang up to discount and showed the asst manager. They were really pretty cool about it and are going to pay for a replacement. He wanted to order a new cap and then have me have it powder coated and bring them the bill but I told him I would call Budnik and have them have it powder coated so it matches the wheel since they are the ones that powder coated it. Are people really that stupid, its not like they had the janitor balance the tire.... :wtf

Here's a shot of the wheel and center cap..before the damage
2_10_08_09_8_25_57_0.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have removed the center cap before you even brought the wheel/tire to have it re-balanced.

I'll bet you'll do that the next time!

"Midlife" said:
You should have removed the center cap before you even brought the wheel/tire to have it re-balanced.

I'll bet you'll do that the next time!

You are correct sir....

Did the wheels come powder coated or did you have that done? I got mine used and love the wheels but am not happy with some chips. I was thinking its probably cheaper to just buy new wheels than to have these stripped and coated.

I ordered them from a rod shop in MN, he placed the order with Budnik. Budnik built and powder coated them then shipped them to me. I told the rod shop I wanted Anthracite as the color, budnik said there were multiple shades and the wheels sa for a couple weeks until I called them direct and just told to use the anthracite they normally used....

Sorry to hear it, but I have dealt with Discount for many years and they stand behind their work, if it aint right, they will fix it.

Hey, what about that whole Stangfix, picture thing...I'm not say'n it didn't happen...but couldn't you post pics...pics of the wheel after the damage?

That kind of stuff happens all the time at every tire shop. Tire busters are a dime a dozen. They don't get much training and usually don't care much about what they're doing.

"ZFORCE" said:
Hey, what about that whole Stangfix, picture thing...I'm not say'n it didn't happen...but couldn't you post pics...pics of the wheel after the damage?

I snapped a few pictures but its hard to photograph the damage, don't want anyone think I'm crying over spilled milk. The damage is evident and noticeable in person.

Spilled milk?

WTF?

You have some bad arse wheels you paid up the ying yang for and they :fbomb ed them up. Replacing it is the least they should do.

I don't think you should have to specially prepare your wheel/tire assembly before you allow a wheel/tire vendor to work on them. That's what they do. I'm sure they realized these were custom wheels. Besides, they should have balanced them lug-centric anyway, never removing the center caps. :rp

"Fast68back" said:
I snapped a few pictures but its hard to photograph the damage, don't want anyone think I'm crying over spilled milk. The damage is evident and noticeable in person.

I agree with Sluggo.

I know I'd be pretty ticked off if I spent tons of money on something just to have some dork mess it up.

Back