• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

WTF Shaker base assembly do I have???

Waffles

Ok... I have had my shaker on my car for a few years. First a 302, then my windsor.

It has never sat perfect, but it's always been close enough.

Last week we replaced the distributor. Now the shaker base doesn't sit right.

Finally decided to spend some time figuring it out.

I have a 408w, and THOUGHT I had the 351W base assembly.

I MIGHT. I don't know. The indent in the front of the assembly where the distributor goes is off center, doesn't line up correctly, and it causes the shaker to sit crooked.

Here are a few pics of my shaker.

0527001742a.jpg

0527001742.jpg

Now here is a few pics of the 3 different base assemblies that I got from VMF.

Windsor:
351wshaker.jpg

Cleveland:
351cshaker.jpg

Boss302:
b302shaker.jpg

So I THINK it looks most like a Windsor, which would be correct, but the distributor is definitely NOT where it belongs on the indent on the base assembly.

Anyone have any input? I'm hoping I have a windsor, because even if it is incorrect, it is the most valuable one out there.

The choke on the carb sits in the wrong spot on the base assembly, the distributor sits in the wrong spot... WTF is going on?

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't shakers also come on 428's and 429's (71 Torino Cobra's?) with the shaker option? Sorry, I can't answer your specific question but there may be potentially other versions than the ones pictured.

0527001821b.jpg

0527001821a.jpg

0527001821.jpg

And if I put in where it sits correctly, look at the angle my shaker would face.

0527001823aarrow.jpg

0527001823a.jpg

0527001823.jpg

0527001823arrow.jpg

Looks identical to all 351w bases that I've seen. Have you measured the height? It should be 6.14" tall.

Aren't there only two places the dizzy could be on a Ford?

Small blacks are all the same except for deck height. A Boss 302 shaker would be deeper since the deck height is lower (assumption)

I know you can change dizzys between Cleveland, 429, 460.

Does an FE take a different setup?

Here's a link with some measurements of 428, 302, 351 shakers if that will help.

http://www.boss302.com/shaker.htm

Looks like the windsor ones I've been drooling over. If it wont work and you need to unload it, I'll take it off your hands..... :ecit

"Sluggo" said:
Aren't there only two places the dizzy could be on a Ford?

Small blacks are all the same except for deck height. A Boss 302 shaker would be deeper since the deck height is lower (assumption)

I know you can change dizzys between Cleveland, 429, 460.

Does an FE take a different setup?

Here's a link with some measurements of 428, 302, 351 shakers if that will help.

http://www.boss302.com/shaker.htm

Cleveland and Boss 302 both have the shorter deck height compared to the 351w. The FE's do have different bases and they are easy to spot, because instead of having the extra ring welded to the top of the shaker base opening there are three little tabs spot welded that house the studs. The boss has a continuously flat ring whereas the cleveland and windsor's ring is stepped as shown in Waffles pics. All of the bases seem to have the distributor offset to the right of the front stud even in reproduction. I've never installed one so I don't know how they could possibly point forward unless the midplate holes were offset to match the layout of the base.

While reproduction pieces (somewhat close) below is a picture of the FE

MSB428.JPG

Here is the 351c, note the stepped ring:

MSB351C.JPG

The 351w, again a stepped ring

MSB351W.JPG

Boss 302, note continuous non-stepped ring

MSB302B.JPG

Repro one installed on a Boss 302

red%20boss%20shaker&cooler%20004.jpg

One installed on a 351c

shaker%20eng.jpg

Ok, so you all reaffirmed what I was thinking, but it doesn't solve my problem... I have NO idea why it doesn't sit on correctly...

Why am I so stupid?

i think the reason is that the aftermarket distributor is taller than the original distributor used in the windsor. the distributor sits in the block at a slight angle. when you make it taller, it will approach the center as you have illustrated. then in an effort to gain additional clearance you need to rotate the base slightly.

you need a base that has the indentation like this one.
IMG_5702.jpg

That short write up on boss302.com states that the shaker is adjustable at the midplate. Is that just a fore and aft adjustment?

The small block midplates (some of them) had two holes, one for a 2V and one for 4V for the front/back movement.

Good call buckeye.. Is that aftermarket?

that' an original shaker (or at least it once was).

the base started life as a 428 mustang shaker base. i heavily modified it (internally and externally).

shaker's, 351W's and Victor intakes don't normally like each other.

Well between here and Mustangforums, BuckeyDemon has agreed to help me out. I will be sending him my base assembly, and he will be modifying it to fit mine.

+1 for this guy. Thanks man, you should have it by middle of next week.

Is yours a Windsor base? If it is, I would reconsider modifying it. Just too valuable a base to modify. I've been looking for one for a 3 years and they are not easy to come by and not cheap.

I do in fact have a windsor base. I sent it to Buckeyedemon, he's going to look at it for me and see what my options are.

Someone makes the ring that goes around the top, I could not find the seller on a quick search. You could purchase one of those & weld it to another base, selling the original to recoup the cost & possibly profit. These are hard to find @ an affordable price these days, I hate to see one modified when there are other options.

Then again it is your do what you will!!! :craz

Mike

I agree with Mike. Make a template of your current ring, get some sheet metal and fabricate a ring to weld onto a stock non-shaker 351w base. You can then "clock" the stock base at whatever angle you want. If you aren't worried about it being stock looking, the ring that is fabricated doesn't have to be stepped like the 351w ring...it could look more like the solid ring of the Boss 302 to make fabrication easier.

i indicated in the email that i wasn't fond of cutting up the rare 351w shaker base. so please don't hate me!.....

in my personal build thread i regretting cutting up my 428 base. i wish i had known about the similarity of the thunderbird bases, as i would have started with one of those...

the post office wouldn't deliver since i wasn't home. it will probably be saturday when they redeliver.

Back