• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

X vs H vs neither?

since I am the OP I am gonna dereail this and ask how you like the gear venders OD? Worth the money? Did you install it your self?

"tarafied1" said:
since I am the OP I am gonna dereail this and ask how you like the gear venders OD? Worth the money? Did you install it your self?

I did do the install myself and it was definitely not that bad. I have it behind a 4 speed toploader so pretty bullet proof combination.

I did have to shorten my brand new drive shaft and also come up with a creative solution for the speedo adapter.

I haven't driven the car yet with the Gear Vendors activated to give a report but so far I love it.

Once I have a few miles on it I will give a full report.

thought I would add a pic of a hand made X-pipe to this thread, the guy did a great job..

DSCN0024-1024x768.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I can comment on the H pipe and the X pipe and the gear vendors.

First the gear vendors. I had them on an 88 F250 with a 7.3 diesel. No turbo and 4:11 gears. So it maxed the rpms at about 60 mph. When the GV was activated I could get to 80 or so. No problem. One cool think was I had 2 reverse gears and 8 forward gears! The only drawback in a 4x4 is that when in 4wd you have to have the GV turned off. No issue in a Mustang. Installation is easy. You should change the fluid about once a year or so. Mine was nasty and hadn't been done by the PO at all, so I did it and it was easy too. It takes a GM light oil, not sure which one anymore, but GV in El Cajon has very good customer service. I lived in Brawley about 2 hours East.

Now the 67 has an H pipe and Flowmasters. The 65 has an X pipe and magnaflows. The 67 has a deep rumble and the 65 is a bit higher pitch. They are both nice, but I prefer the 67 where you can hear the clicking of the valves and just a deep rumble. The muffler shop I use is a Mopar and GM guy. He has his roadrunner and chevelle on his logo. Anyway he told me the X pipe provides a bit more HP. I really don't care about that anyway. I think that the X pipe was easier for him to make. Or he had it in stock. I just wanted my exhaust done. Oh, both cars have Tri-Ys .... The 65 has ceramic coated Headers by Doug and the 67 has painted Headman Headers.

I don't see any real difference in performace in the X vs the H. There is for sure a different sound!

Now on a big block? I had a 460 in a F250 and it had straight pipes not X or H. It sounded bad ars! I would be inclined if I were you to just run straight pipes. The reason is when you upgrade your trans you can add it. That is when we did it on the 67. Had straight pipe until then.

Mel

I bought a MagnaFlow kit for my car. It comes with an X pipe, but is expressly NOT for convertibles. It won't fit above the crossover plate.

I cut the X out and had the muffler guy install it with straight pipes - no X or H.

It sounded awesome at idle and cruise, but when I got on it at all, it was too loud and had a poppy sound - like a pickup on glasspacks. I hated it.

I went back to the muffler shop and asked him to add an H-pipe. $30 and an hour later I was set. The car sounds totally different. It's a little quiter and much smoother. Gone is the fart-like sound. That short little piece of pipe transformed my exhaust system.

So, X's might have a slight HP advantage, but H's sound better than nothing at all.

Back