• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

yet another tire width question...

65-408

I am getting close to ordering tires and wheels, I have reviewed the dodgestang matrix and here is my info:

65 Fastback
both front and rear fender lips will be rolled
front and rear track widths will be stock
rear suspension is a heidt's 4-link with a panhard bar
front suspension to get the arning drop with at least 1" drop springs

it appears from the matrix that I might be able to go with (pushing to the limits):
17x8 4.75" BS
235-45-17 Front
255-40-17 Rear

Anyone think to the contrary?

Any info is appreciated...

It's my belief that your tire sizes will fit.

Keep in mind that your question will not likely get a lot of 100% concurrence. There are too many variables for anyone to "guarantee" that anything other than a stock tire size will fit w/o interference. I learned long ago not to tell anyone that "sure, they'll fit and you'll be fine"..... only to have the person come back later stating that they don't. It's a very "touchy" area. What works for one, oddly may not work for another.

I can tell you that I'm running a 255/45/17 rear and 225/45/17 front tire on my '66 and there is under no circumstances ever any tire rub.... and the fender lips aren't rolled one bit..... but I have a narrowed 9" with a 4link rear and a MII style front suspension.

Have you considered adding the "poor man's mini tub" to the rear wheelhouses? This is a common area for tire rub. Just cut a 8-9 inch slit, grab your favorite BFH and go to town. I gained 1 inch on the left and an 1 1/4 inches on the right.

Download3-2-09036-1.jpg

Download3-6-09002.jpg

Download5-13-09004-1.jpg

Download5-13-09006.jpg

You can get all the details from this tech article - http://www.mustangdepot.com/graphics/pm-mini-tub.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
"daveSanborn" said:
It's my belief that your tire sizes will fit.

Keep in mind that your question will not likely get a lot of 100% concurrence. There are too many variables for anyone to "guarantee" that anything other than a stock tire size will fit w/o interference. I learned long ago not to tell anyone that "sure, they'll fit and you'll be fine"..... only to have the person come back later stating that they don't. It's a very "touchy" area. What works for one, oddly may not work for another.

I can tell you that I'm running a 255/45/17 rear and 225/45/17 front tire on my '66 and there is under no circumstances ever any tire rub.... and the fender lips aren't rolled one bit..... but I have a narrowed 9" with a 4link rear and a MII style front suspension.

Thanks Dave... do you have a sound clip of your car, looks like side exhaust? what size tubing and what mufflers and how bearable is it, I am trying to decide in that area as well... right now leaning towards 2.5" (reduced from 3" after an X or H) stainless spintech's off my hooker supercomps (same side in/out) like the gt350SR's had... they make 2 sizes (a medium and a large case) with the large supposedly being a little quiter, I like loud, but don't really want to totally piss off the neighbor's evertime I go out...

My car, although it has side exit exhaust doesn't share many other similarities to your car/exhaust system.

On the other hand, my son's car also has side exits and is VERY similar to your exhaust set-up.... 2.5"/H pipe/SpinTeck's....

Something squirrely is going on with my Photobucket account....

"daveSanborn" said:
My car, although it has side exit exhaust doesn't share many other similarities to your car/exhaust system.

On the other hand, my son's car also has side exits and is VERY similar to your exhaust set-up.... 2.5"/H pipe/SpinTeck's....

Something squirrely is going on with my Photobucket account....

Yup, that video comes up as a pic of a seat bottom...

Darn. That's the same thing I was seeing too. I hoped it was just on my end.

It's a nice picture of a fold-down seat bottom though, huh?

"daveSanborn" said:
I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with my Photobucket account, but here's a direct link to the video I've been trying to get loaded.....

I dont think anything is wrong with your photobucket account. This site no longer excepts video embeds so cant show it anymore like you use to. You have two options, post the link like you have been or "{url=http://photobucketwhatever.com}LINK{/url} With the square brackets instead of the curly ones so it looks like this.

Daves Bad A$$ Car Video

"daveSanborn" said:
I'd call it "medium". There's definitley a rumble, but not so much as to annoy any neighbors.

OK, thanks... what motor is in that? maybe I will consider going 3" all the way then, with the large case, might be ok...

Back