• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Zero loss exhaust...work in progress

blackford

I've known that I have been leaving some HP on the table with my exhaust system so I finally started doing something about it. I had dual 2.5" dynomax super turbo mufflers which have a flow rating of 410 cfm. Good, but not great. I also had cutouts in the exhaust system about 36" to 42" back from the header collectors (really too far back).

I removed a removable section between my header collectors and mufflers...about 48" long. I then put some 12" collector extensions on.

I took the car for a drive and it was cutting out like crazy above 4500...WTF? Long story short, it turned out to be my platimum plugs could not handle the open exhaust...ditch those suckers! I also rejetted the carb from 73/82 to 77/86 (engine was a tad lean from dyno data 2 years ago, plus open exhaust usually requires more jetting).

How does it run?...OMG...it's on the verge of chaos and sounds great (i'll have to post an exhaust sound on the other post I saw). :yah

The engine is clearly putting out significantly more HP and torque. It was 360 rear wheel HP before and now I would estimate that it is approaching 400 rear wheel HP.

I found a great article about zero loss exhaust. Basically, if the pipe diameter suddenly increases significantly, the engine sees a sudden drop in pressure just like the exhaust was open at that point. If mufflers are put downstream that have adequate flow (about 550 cfm in my case), the exhaust system will be very near or at zero loss.

So my future plans are to put 3.5" resonators on right after the collectors (1" increase in diameter and 2x the area) and better flowing mufflers.

Have to say though, driving around with open exhaust is FUN! :thu I figure it's no louder than 4 harleys (and sounds a lot better)...so what the heck.

You car has always been one of my favorites! Hope you stick around and really hope you get some sound uploaded :yah

"silverblueBP" said:
You car has always been one of my favorites! Hope you stick around and really hope you get some sound uploaded :yah

:stu

And plus your still uber cool because you're running irons too! :thu

I have my exhaust going back to some high flow mufflers, I forget which ones though, and then there is an "S" pipe allowing the exhaust to dump out in front of the rear tires.

It seems to be really good, but a bit too high pitch for me. I am going to put some glass packs just after the collectors and angle the pipe out to a Bologna cut just before the rear tires like the GT-350 has. I shouldn't have let teh muffler shop hot rod guys talk me into doing it this way instead.

Your car sounds like it is doing well and you are right open exhaust is cool!

Cherry bombs should do the trick and should sound like it is almost open.

Mel

Good to see you here and look forward to sound bites.

" I also had cutouts in the exhaust system about 36" to 42" back from the header collectors (really too far back)."
I'm considering working dumps into my system as I'm planning it now, what is the optimal distance back from collectors for dumps?

Is there a site that lists most manufacturers mufflers by cfm flow or do you have to research each?

How do you calculate the optimal cfm for a given engine (approximate?).
Jon

Back