• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

03.27.2011 NorCal welding lesson

abrahamfh

As everyone has noticed, I have been trying to teach myself how to weld and had thought that I was doing a okay job. Thanks to everyone's help here at the FIX I got some very good advice when I had posted a photograph of my welds on the shock towers. Thanks again everyone for speaking up and letting me know what I was doing was not safe.

At this point, I really didn't know what to do, I was watching a TCP welding video Craig lent me, I was looking all through the WWW and youtube and couldn't seem to figure it out. Shocker, :shrug I know! So, I reached out to John(opentracker) who also runs an amazing establishment everyone here should be familiar with http://www.opentrackerracingproducts.com for some help. He figured since we were all getting together in two days at Baja Cantina we could speak in more detail there. John was nice enough to weld up some sample pieces right before showing up at Baja so he can explain the technique and how to achieve such welds of beauty and strength.

As dinner progressed John mentioned that he would be happy to make the drive over to my place and help provide me with a good foundation to grow and learn from. I stated that I would also drive out to his place but educated me that it would be best to for me to learn on my machine with my power/gas setup. I was speechless and didn't refuse.

10 am yesterday John was able to make it, and the weather allowed Craig to cruise Red on over the bridge for some much needed lovin'. John was able to fit and entire welding station in the back of his car which we slowly unloaded and set up along with my welder and we got started.

The first thing he made sure I knew were all the safety precautions, next step was teaching me proper setup and prep before starting to weld. He introduced me and showed me how to use a lot of different tools that I had never had first hand experience with.

Here are just a few:

ddb03f3a.jpg

7d991d7e.jpg

b5c2abde.jpg

Once I understood the basics and demonstrated that I could retain what I was learning in my brain John felt it was time for me to watch him lay down some welds.

f72bb960.jpg

I learned a ton just from watching him weld and being able to ask questions while he was laying it down. I swear, I really was learning a lot and loving every minute of it, I especially enjoyed taking a couple of practice welds with real time feedback of what I was doing wrong like holding the tip to close to the material :char (bad habbits I taught myself that I am trying to break now). After a couple of practice runs it was lunch time. Oh yeah, I had gone to the store and since John had gone so far out of his way for me I had to go all out.

Carne asada, beer battered Shrimp, beans, rice, pico de gallo, chips, home made salsa, the WORKS. :yah
422d2df8.jpg

After lunch it was back to welding where some of the wisest welding wisdom was imparted. "Before you start to weld on the car, set up some practice welds replicating the exact type of welding scenario your going to be performing on the car". Totally makes sense! No point welding on the car without kowing what the end result is going to be.

Craig had to go but before he did John had to reveal some goodies he had for us.

Some material for both of us to practice with
df358fa6.jpg

Some cool stuff to prep our welding surface and clean up the welds after if necessary.
IMG_3550.jpg

Here is an example of what my welds looked like at the end of our welding lesson.
IMG_3562.jpg

IMG_3564.jpg

My welder was getting the job done but it was missing some features like the pull back feature on the Lincoln's where after you release the trigger it retracts a little of the welding wire which was huge when we practiced welding verticaly. John then offered to leave behind his welding station that he had brought with him for me to continue welding with. I usually have something to say but this time I really couldn't find any words other than thank you. :thu
IMG_3560.jpg

Today, I played hooky from work and finished up my welding table by adding casters and a vertical 2x4 to givce some more gifts John had brought over a home. Simple yet genius tools.

IMG_3552.jpg

The hook is obvoiusly to have a easy quick place to house the gun, and the bolt welded on to the bracket that still needs to be screwed in so I can unscrew the nozzle and easily clean out the slag that builds up inside.
IMG_3557.jpg

The pliers welded to the bracket for a easy almost hands free way of cutting the excess wire after a specific weld has been completed.
IMG_3558.jpg

Here was my first horizontal practice weld of the day.
IMG_3566.jpg

Here is my first vertical weld of the day where I started from the bottom and worked my way up. (Vertical weld is the weld on the right)
IMG_3567.jpg

:bowdown

Last edited by a moderator:
I am SOOOOOOO jealous! John is such a great guy and to be close enough for some personal instruction is great...you lucky dog.

I wish we had someone out here that can weld like a Pro and was NICE like John :roll

Re: My welding lesson with John. (Sorry, originally posted in the wrong place)

gosh, Abe. Those welds look like crap!

Oh wait, that's the pic of the beans.

John is a giver - he's wired that way. You are very fortunate to live so close to him and be his student.

Nice job by both of you (John for giving his talents and equipment) and Abe for the beans and gratitude.

Soon you'll be running back to the welding supply store for more gas and wire.

Go get 'em! I bet Abe's going to give away some autographed samples at the Knott's dinner!

See Abe, your welds look better today than they did yesterday.

I had a great time too and your very welcome for the lesson and goodies. You have a wonderfull family. they made Craig and I feel at home ( good cooks too) . That was a great lunch, way better than any restaurant.

Having the right tools and practice is what it takes to make good safe welds on the car in my opinion, your getting there quick.

Re: My welding lesson with John. (Sorry, originally posted in the wrong place)

good job abe...gotta love the fix

Hard to say which is cooler, the unbelievable generosity of those guys or the improvement in your welding! Just awesome.

The generosity on both sides is simply staggering. I'm speechless!

Edited: I moved and merged the two threads together, leaving them in the Gum Flapper's Lounge. I removed one of the original posts.

Great deal Abe! Kudos to John! Sure glad I didn't see your meal pics before dinner tonight...mmmmm, mmmmmm!

A few months ago Opentracker's John and his daughter came over to my place to give me some welding lessons (shhhhh she's better than he is). Now he does the same for Abe which says a lot in my books. Thanks John for the ongoing lessons. Thanks Abe for the massive amount of hospitality, especially the drunken shrimp.

Wow, I'm really impressed at your dedication and progress, Abe. And I'm doubly impressed by John's generosity with his time and supplies. Makes me proud to be a part of this group.

Frank

"crustycurmudgeon" said:
Wow, I'm really impressed at your dedication and progress, Abe. And I'm doubly impressed by John's generosity with his time and supplies. Makes me proud to be a part of this group.

Frank

Thats just what I was thinking when reading this thread.Impressed with :
Abe's dedication :thu
John's generosity :thu
And may I say , proud to be part of that group ??

Back