• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

#1 priority - Shag and Red's fuel gauge's

I just got done ordering a resistor from Newark.com that the guy in the post on the other thread suggested getting. I guess I will wire that in and see if it helps. The resistor will be about $1.18, shipping will be much more than that though. I'll let you guys know how it works out. It sounds like a much easier solution than dinking around with gas and the sending unit. I guess I find out though.

http://www.newark.com/ohmite/43f180e/resistor-wirewound-180ohm-3w-1/dp/64K8918?Ntt=64k8918

"68EFIvert" said:
I just got done ordering a resistor from Newark.com that the guy in the post on the other thread suggested getting. I guess I will wire that in and see if it helps. The resistor will be about $1.18, shipping will be much more than that though. I'll let you guys know how it works out. It sounds like a much easier solution than dinking around with gas and the sending unit. I guess I find out though.

http://www.newark.com/ohmite/43f180e/resistor-wirewound-180ohm-3w-1/dp/64K8918?Ntt=64k8918

You got my attention. I'm looking forward to your results.

"sigtauenus" said:
I'm glad you mentioned that, I was actually going to ask if you had one...

On an unrelated note, do you still have a handfull of hog-rings left? I'm doing the rear seat upholstery soon.

BTW, that's coming up soon, you still good for Sunday the 17th?

The gas tank is used and is now yours.

Hog Rings.... I had about 900 leftover, but sent them to Rick (fast68back) when he was doing his seats. I believe he may have forwarded the remaining balance onto another StangFix'er when he got done with them, not sure, but I don't have any anymore.

Sunday the 17th is still good for me!

Craig, I have a used tank here that I got from Dave, I'm going to copy your set-up for calibrating the sender.

When I first filled up my car the fuel gauge shot up to F, then as a I drove it the level dropped quickly. I wasn't sure if I had really bad mileage or if the gauge was off. Yesterday I saw the gauge was right at 1/4 so I stopped at the corner gas station and topped it off, it took all of 5.8 gallons to put the needle back up on the F.

I'm thinking if I bend the arm up some, it may result in the gauge showing full longer than it is actually full, but as we discussed previously, if it is close to being on at 1/2 or more significantly 1/4 then I am ok with that. I would really like for 1/4 to mean 4 gallons so I know I'm near the bottom of the tank and how far I have left to get gas.

"garner67" said:
You got my attention. I'm looking forward to your results.

I just put the resistor in and the gauge appears to be more accurate. It read empty when I started and after the resistor was put on it read close to 1/4 of a tank. I will have to take the car down to fill it up to make sure but my initial impression is the gauge is much more acccurate. I just swapped headers so the car is running open exhaut. A trip to the gas station will have to wait for a trip to the exhaust shop. Nothing like setting the timing on a car with open headers on Xmas!

To be honest, I haven't addressed this issue for quite some time since I've been very busy with work, etc. I have yet to address Red's gauges but did tweak Shags a little which made the reading closer to reality but I think I can bend the float arm down just a little more to make it read more gas. As it stands when it reads 1/4, I believe I actually have 1/3rd.

Back