• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1931 harley davidson VL

SELLERSRODSHOP

hoping to get these finished up this week. i had to do everything based on a bunch of pictures of an unrestored original at the harley museum. i didn't think i would like the color combo until i got a few pieces finished & striped. thinking about doing up one of the old barber chairs in this color scheme & getting a h/d logo embroidered on the material for the backrest...
IMG_3026.jpg

IMG_3028.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

No way- my old man wants to get his 1930 done- I'll put pics up 2morrow if i have time- One of my cousins owned it in the 60's and took a little too much acid one day and decided to take an axe to it as well as a sledge hammer- It's all there though- Very nice job!

Here is some pics of the 30- It's all original Dad just told me it has 37 metal- I just checked the case on the motor 30VL1067- and makes you sick to look at it, should remind everyone acid isn't cool...
IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3971.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that a military color?--I am not sure it would be my first choice--might look better in person, nice work though!

"S8NS 289" said:
Here is some pics of the 30- It's all original Dad just told me it has 37 metal- I just checked the case on the motor 30VL1067- and makes you sick to look at it, should remind everyone acid isn't cool...

i was gonna say that it had 36-37 flathead sheetmetal. the fenders aren't as bad as they look. the tanks will need to desoldered , repaired & resoldered back together to do it properly. these tanks were done that way. i can possibly get the name of the guy who did that if you are interested.

thats not army green, it was the standard color back then, gloss olive green. they had some strange combinations, like mint green & maroon with gold stripes...

I would appreciate it!, we were always going to suprise him and get it done but i think we would have to sell everything we own...

Nice work as usual Steve, any interest in some alum. rim restoration work? I need to have my polished alum. miata rims redone as they are all pitted from being in the salt air of HI if you're interested.

S8NS I sure hope Karma caught up with your cousin and someone destroyed something equal to him...
Jon

"Jonk67" said:
Nice work as usual Steve, any interest in some alum. rim restoration work? I need to have my polished alum. miata rims redone as they are all pitted from being in the salt air of HI if you're interested.

S8NS I sure hope Karma caught up with your cousin and someone destroyed something equal to him...
Jon

there was a guy up around hendersonville that was polishing wheels really cheap from what i've heard. i don't have the setup for polishing the whole wheel by machine which is probably what they really need. run it by one day & i'll look at them & see what needs to be done...

assembled the front fender today (5 pieces) , painted the primary cover & prepped the other tank & will paint it tomorrow...
IMG_3031.jpg

Cool, that pinstriping is awesome, it would look like a '70's pot van if I did it.
I may stop by tonight on the way home as I'm in Gallatin off 109, hopefully I'll get out before 5p, after all I have worked almost 2 weeks at the new job I think I deserve it :shrug

Been wanting to stop in, I have some shipping boxes from Vandy for you but with the Miata you will probably get them 1 at a time...
Jon

Back