• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang convertible

mmw68

Well, I thought I would start a build tread on the 1967 convertible. On a whim, I sold my 1977 Toyota FJ40, and decided after years of doing the 4x4 thing, I should get back into muscle cars.

My brother found this car for me (he is the Mustang nut in the family), and it was super clean, and had been sitting for 10 years. The PO was a young man, and this was his first car in hight school. He had dropped in a 302 with a C6, but the install was not very clean. No stall converter, kick-down cable, and wires where just twisted together with electrical tape.

I just planed to do a few minor things to it, once I dug into it and realized what a mess the PO had made of things I decided to give the car a little TLC. First thing was to pull the engine and transplant a DSS Racing engine with a T5. I scored one off Craigslist!! First thing I did was have my engine guy go thru the engine, and also had the T5 rebuild. We have also added disc brakes as well easy to do while we had the engine out.

Engine Specs:
DSS Level 10 CNC block.
DSS pistons
Stock rods and polished crank
Comp Cams 270HR roller cam
Ford GT40 heads
Comp Cams pedestal mount roller rockers
Edelbrock Performer RPM Carbed Intake
Melling High Volume oil pump with hardened shaft
Summit Racing SFI balancer

Here is a shot of the day we bought it about 6 weeks ago.

washandwax1.jpg

washandwax2.jpg

This weeks progress:

engine_pull.jpg

old_engine.jpg

enginebay_empty.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We went thru the engine over the holiday, then dropped it last week. Still have a log way to go, but Iam making progress.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

If you like that FJ40 - then you will get a kick out of this, the one I sold to fund my Mustang! I still have 2 more Toyota Land Cruisers.
sliders4.jpg

Iam in Austin, Texas. I would love to meet more Texas Mustang folks, and anyone in Austin. I just joined MCOA, and Iam going to try to go to the event this weekend.

looking goooooood !! serpentine belt drive ?

BTW Welcome to THE COOLEST BOARD................"" STANGFIX ""

Gotta love those 67 verts! Check out this months' car of the month. Guy that owns it is kind of an A-hole, but the car is pretty nice from 20 feet. I actually like the standard interior from 67 better than the deluxe for a vert. Next time I am in Austin, I will call and we can grab some bbq at Stubbs or Ironworks. (Unless a road trip to Kreuz's, or Cooper's is in order.)

KO

BBQ, now your talkin! The drive out to coopers is nice, or Saltlick!

Yes - Iam using a serpentine belt drive, hope to have more progress on this in a few days.

It's the same Aluminum radiator that everyone sells. It's a three row, and I got it from sacramento-mustang.com during a holiday sale. I'll see how well it works.

"S8NS 289" said:
Sounds good!, What brand radiator is that?

That sounds great! Now you need some cutouts so you can enjoy that beautiful sound any time you want. The ricers you pull up next to will want to hide. :hide

Got some more work done on the paint, finished painting the rest of the car - then a wet sanding, followed buy a glaze. It looks great, and we have not even done with the buffing and wax yet! :yah

paint1.jpg

newpaint1.jpg

newpaint2.jpg

newpaint3.jpg

Drove the car today for the first time!!! No mufflers yet - wow, what a blast, and loud!!!!! Lucky I did not get a ticket.

It's about 1.5 miles to the muffler shop. Having the exhaust system done, "H" pipe, cutouts, and Dynomax muffler. Thanks to 68EFIvert for turning me onto the DMH cutout.

muffler2.jpg

muffler1.jpg

muffler3.jpg

muffler4.jpg

I think you will like those dynomax mufflers... I just picked up another set of those same ones for my other project. of course you're probaly not going to get to use them much with the electric cut outs....

Just got these crappy iphone pictures from my muffler dude. ;)

I'll have to go buy on my way home from work and check it out!

muffler6.jpg

muffler5.jpg

Back