• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1967 Mustang Coupe Restoration in progress

Hello, im Kevin, im a new member and this is my project. Its a 1967 Mustang Coupe which belonged to my Grandma, It has the original 289 in it, Automatic transmission. I have been working on this car for 4 years now and it has been in this state for 2 of them, I am finally making one final push to finish her where maybe I can have a little bit sweeter ride for summer other then my father Bronco.

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/1001934a.jpg/
Inside

http://img413.imageshack.us/i/1001933i.jpg/
Inside

http://img132.imageshack.us/i/1001932j.jpg/
Carb and intake.

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/1001930r.jpg/
yep i could use some.

http://img706.imageshack.us/i/1001929v.jpg/
Parts

http://img195.imageshack.us/i/1001928o.jpg/
Big pile of Bolts, hard lesson to learn.

http://img515.imageshack.us/i/1001927p.jpg/
2 years in this state, I haven't done her justice yet. Soon lol.

http://img8.imageshack.us/i/1001926s.jpg/
Engine, almost ready to go in. Hopefully very soon it will be.

Welcome to Stangfix. What are your plans for getting it road worthy? Looks like a pretty ambitious project to complete during the summer.

Nice Pics
1001934a.jpg

1001933i.jpg

1001932j.jpg

1001930r.jpg

1001929v.jpg

1001928o.jpg

1001927p.jpg

1001926s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol You have Price Albert in a can! :lol

Glad to see another coupe rescued. Keep it up and keep us informed. :craz

PS where about are you located? Be sure to enlist others from your area for help!

Very ambitious indeed, good to see another coupe will return to duty. In your nuts/bolts pic I can tell you the round piece of metal at the bottom of the pic is the spare tire hold down center. I bought a box of quart and 1/2 gallon ziploc bags and labeled most of the bags with the bolts in them- alt. bolts, exh. bolts, intake bolts, etc. after seeing others suggest this luckily before my teardown. I still have a few stray I'm looking for but saved me hours of sifting through bolts. Some I cleaned (gunk, wire wheel) before they went in the bag, others will be cleaned before using if I don't replace them with new.

1st suggestion would be to get a shelving unit to put the loose stuff on, once the car's trunk and roof are covered it's a loosing battle and a psychological defeat evertime you go into the garage. About once a month I do a work area clean out - putting tools back where I can find them, removing empty boxes, cleaning up the dirt/grime I've knocked off the car, etc. I work on the car more when I don't have to move stuff to get to the car or step over stuff to get to my workbench/tools. I'm not a super organized person but I make myself do this so I'm not laying on bolts and dirt while I'm running brake lines, etc., really kills the drive to go out and do knowing I'll need a bath everytime I come in the house.

2nd suggestion, take all the 'fun' stuff like those nice new speakers, amp and stereo and pack it all in a box and put it safely in your closet in your room. Those speakers will be quickly punctured by a falling bolt, etc. It also distracts you from doing the primary things to get the car running. It's no fun listening to an awesome stereo in a car that can't leave the garage. Leave the fun stuff til last, it'll get completed quick once the cars on the road and you want tunes.

3rd suggestion is to get a <$10 eraseable board/markers and start a punch list of the things you need to complete in order. As you finish a task 1. clear off roof/trunk, 2. clear space, etc. cross them out and move onto the next one. Once you've marked them all off erase the board and write the next ~10 or so and start on those. I try to get out in the garage and complete something at least 1 hr. a night or more if I can, really helps to whittle away at the tedious stuff.

Good luck and post your city/state at least, as mentioned you may have someone close to help or give tips/experience.
Jon

Today, I went to the shop at 8:30 with a friend of mine, worked until 11:45 trying to find the alternator bracket which got hidden in a box of random stuff, and figured out how the AC Idler bracket went on. Had to take the Oil pan off to put the Oil Pump driver in, then broke two bolts off as they went back in to bolt the Oil pan back in. They were both on the same side right next to each other. What luck. I was hoping to get to here her run today, but I guess the old girl wanted to tease me a little bit before she let me have the whole package. That's alright though, I know shes just playing hard to get. Got the Distributor punched in to. Made a big leap to getting the engine back in her though. Just got a minor set back with digging two bolts out of the block and finding two other ones to put in. then give her a heart again, and bolt her up. Then its just some minor stuff to get her to run. And then, i'm sure ill get that boost of adrenaline needed to finish her up. I can't wait.

Do and redo, it happens to all of us. Have you caught a case of "while im at it" yet? Thats when it really gets expensive.

&quot;southern_boy&quot; said:
Had to take the Oil pan off to put the Oil Pump driver in...

Do you mean the oil pump drive shaft? It connects to the distributor. It could have been inserted from above.

&quot;beach pony&quot; said:
Welcome to Stangfix. What are your plans for getting it road worthy? Looks like a pretty ambitious project to complete during the summer.

I want to just get her running again, make sure all my light and everything work. Then when I know it's all gonna work for me. I'll start on the inside, I finished the last of the seats two days ago. Redid the back seat and the driver and passenger seat. I have new headliner, carpet, steering wheel, and some other stuff ready to go inside. I am sort of planning on getting a crackpot team of rednecks together (crackpot team of rednecks = friends from school) to jump on it one weekend and work on all the interior to get it finished hopefully by summer time. Because Id rather have the Mustang than my dads Bronco. lol

&quot;lethal289&quot; said:
Do and redo, it happens to all of us. Have you caught a case of "while im at it" yet? Thats when it really gets expensive.

Do you mean the oil pump drive shaft? It connects to the distributor. It could have been inserted from above.

Yes, I have gotten while im at it once or twice. and yes it was teh oil pump drive shaft, just didnt know the official name for it.

First thing first, take the paint pan and brush out the vehicle. :lol

I think Jon's to do list is great advice as I might just try it.

I never tried the ospho whatever stuff. Does it convert the rust to black metal? Well, I just stick to a grinder and a welder. Grind that rust out and weld some new metal where ever needed... owning a welder and learning to weld is a great feeling.

Welcome!! How sweet~ your Grandma's car! That is too cool! Great photos~ keep em coming!! Check out the Gallery to upload your photos too~ you don't need a photo server for the Gallery. Again Welcome!
dne'
oh, I have a '67 coupe also!! ; )

Ok, I know I started this thread a while back, but you all told me to keep you all up to date. So I figured ya'll wouldn't mind me digging back and updating you all. The old girl is finally back in working order. AND STREET LEGAL. That is right ladies and gentlemen. She has a seat, both front seat belts, and no shifter nob. All Working lights needed. And a running engine. Nice pretty new plates and two new cute little stickers in the bottom right hand corner of the windshield saying I can drive it on the road. Oh yea. Pictures coming soon. :)

WHat? you're done already?? :wtf (I rarely use this wtf thing) I can't wait to see some photos :part
congrats!!! :wor
dne'

I am not done. I am done with getting it running and drivable, and its street legal. But it only has a driver bucket seat and the required amount of seat belts which is both front seat belt. and working light.

Back