• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 4 piston front disc brakes

pnandy

how much should i be paying for a complete set of these that are in working condtion? found some on craigslist right next to me came off a 1968 mustang gt fastback, i have 14 inch torq thrust in the front to so these have the right size discs for me

I've talked with him for about an hour he is getting his 68 painted needs money he upgraded to bigger brakes and doesn't need these he said it comes with everything that i will need for the conversion short of brake lines they are what he was using a couple months back on his. called him and plan to pick them up this sunday

Interesting. To my knowledge, 68's didn't come with 4-piston calipers. KH-style 4-piston calipers were only used from 65-67. 68+'s got single-piston floating calipers.

I suppose it's possible. I don't know enough to claim that it's not. I don't believe you can swap 67 to 68 brake parts like that, though, as I believe the spindles are different.

Either way, I think you got a deal. If it's for a 67 and won't work on yours, you can clean them up and sell them for twice what you paid. If it's for a 68, you've got a new set of brakes:)

I bought 4 piston disc brakes from a 68 Fairlane for about $400, plus shipping. They came with the spindles. However, they required a booster unit as they were for a power brake car. They work just fine.

1968 Mustangs did not have 4-piston front disc brakes, only 2-piston. I got a set of the 67s for my fastback.

ya i went to take alook at them and they weren't in good shape so i decided ot go with the csrp 4 piston front disc brakes for a 68 and ima do the crown vic disc's in the rear on my 9 inch rear

Well, we figured that since there was twice as much gripping surface, it wouldn't hurt. My fastback didn't have disc brakes at all originally. Probably why it was in at least three accidents before being torched.

Craig and Laurie,

The '68 calipers are 1 piston, not 2. They just have 1 piston on the back side, which is called a floating caliper. I have these on my Fairlane and they seem to work just fine. Here's a picture of mine.
53_24_09_08_8_04_15.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The pad area isn't actually any greater on the KH 4-pistons. The advantage is that the calipers are heavier and static mounted, and therefore will absorb more heat. I believe they also have a larger piston surface area, which means more pressure on the pads.

Pad area really doesn't affect anything other that brake pad longevity itself. (Bigger the pad the
cooler it runs. Cooler it runs the longer it lasts)
Caliper clamping force determines who's gonna stop first (provided you've got the tire to do it).
Rotor size determines how many repetitive times you're going to stop effectively before heat
becomes an issue for the brake pad formulation.

Not true. Stopping power is a function of friction area, pressure applied, and the coefficient of friction. Increase any one of those things and you'll increase stopping power. That's why drum brakes have equal stopping power to most disc brake systems. Applied pressure is low, but swept area is much greater than in most disc brake systems.

You can make up for less swept area with more pressure, although (as you stated), the pads will tend to run hotter. That's the advantage of the KH 4-piston calipers, which run cooler because they have more mass and are mounted to the spindle, which allows for better heat transfer. Floating calipers do not directly contact the spindle and don't transfer heat well, especially on the outside pad where there isn't much caliper mass. The larger swept area makes up for the reduction in applied pressure and helps keep pad temperatures manageable with the floating caliper design.

I have OE-style KH calipers on my '67 and I love them. Although something in the r/f is leaking now. I hope it's not a caliper seal:( One downside of 4-piston calipers is that there's more stuff to go wrong.

Back