• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1968 Mustang

I think I am going to replace the factory wiring while the car is all apart. Any input on Painless wiring 22 circuit/fuse harness that seems to be around 700 bucks? Any other options? Any place to get something a little cheaper?

Thanks guys.

Look into American Autowire. I did a lot of research and determined it was the best for my use. I would not hesitate using it again. I have installed a couple of Painless kits, but I think the American Autowire is better. Check the prices at rockauto.com as that was the cheapest when I bought the last one.

a quick google search shows that Rockauto no longer sells American Autowire kits, there seemed to be some sort of falling out. Go to the American Autowire site, find the part number and then do a google search, most likely others sell is beside AAW directly.

AAW part number 510055 found them all over the web for less than $600

I bought it about 3 or 4 years ago....but that seems like right in line with what I remember. For $600 it is a great product that will save you tons of heart ache when rebuilding a car. I wouldn't use it for a restoration, but for a modified car they are perfect. Even include upgrades such as relays for the headlights, power window circuits, etc.

Why are you replacing the wiring? If just due to age, wear, etc. why not use repro harnesses? Makes it much easier as wires are all exact length and you will have all the original connectors etc. I bought all new repros for mine except under dash. I picked up a new style mini spade fuse block and am in process of patching it all together. I am adding lots of new electrical items so a custom under dash and block suited my needs.

The problem I found with most kits/brands is the size of the fuse block and trying to find a place to mount it.

I will probably end up adding in a nice system a few 12v plugs etc. if I can get a plug and play wiring harness it makes more sense than trying to hack up my old wiring.

"Horseplay" said:
Why are you replacing the wiring? If just due to age, wear, etc. why not use repro harnesses? Makes it much easier as wires are all exact length and you will have all the original connectors etc. I bought all new repros for mine except under dash. I picked up a new style mini spade fuse block and am in process of patching it all together. I am adding lots of new electrical items so a custom under dash and block suited my needs.

The problem I found with most kits/brands is the size of the fuse block and trying to find a place to mount it.

With all due respect to Mid, if you are upgrading any part of your car, a new harness sure makes it easier. The American Autowire kits have all the right lengths, connectors, switches, plugs etc. And as mentioned earlier, come equipped with upgrades such as a better fuse block and relays for the headlight circuit.

I would agree that if you are going basically stock, a stock replacement harness will do just fine, or better yet how about a Midlife reconditioned harness. But for my time and money, it is hard to beat brand new, designed for the car, designed for today's use harness.

With Mid not only do you get the harness but the best customer service you'll find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll agree that if you are going severely modified, aftermarket wiring makes sense. If you are a competent electrician and don't get frustrated easily. You'll still be using many of your connectors, having to splice into the pigtails. And you are willing to spend lots of money and time and won't have anyone to consult when things don't work.

Just saying...

well I am going to use a 3g alternator and added in a lot of modern accessories. I few people cautioned me about keeping old wiring in for problems and fires etc. I figured buying a plug and play system that has company support and instructions would be a smart move. I don't want to go through hole harness and find all the issues with old wiring that's not all that flexible anymore to begin with. Don't most of these new wiring kits come with the plugs where it is plug and play? The painless and autowire kits are model and year specific.

I did not have to splice into any old plugs, in fact didn't even have any to use. I did source a new wiper motor plug as that was the only thing modding from the kit. No old wires were used in the car.

You don't have to ditch your original harness to upgrade and increase capacity.

I have a 3G, electric fans, fuel pump, etc.

I added two auxiliary fuse panels to expand my system.

They're both 6-hole blade fuse panels. One is under the fender beneath the battery. It's fed directly by the battery and protected by a megafuse. Circuits fed by this panel are horn relay, headlight relays, fan relays, MSD box, the original main power feed to the original fuse panel, and a second aux fuse panel.

The second panel is above the passenger side kick panel. It feeds my fuel pump relay, door opener relays, trunk release relay, and seat power lumbar.

I also eliminated and re-purposed some of the original wires.

That sounds like a lot of work, and it is, but it seemed to me like it would be much easier than installing a non-factory harness. Fewer connector issues, routing issues, etc.

I also had the car gutted, which made it MUCH easier.

Just sayin, there are other approaches...

I used the painless one, got a good discount while on the power tour a couple years ago. Like it a lot. I also rewired my under dash harness.

ABCurrentProject504.jpg

Back