• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1970 Mustang conversion to late model brake booster and master cylinder?

miketyler

I have plans to put Vintage Venom or some other rear disc solution on my car. I thought I read where the late model Stang brake booster and master cylinder culd be used on the 70. It seems smaller and less bulky, I like the look of the later style master cylinder and plastic tank. Whats involved in the swap and what should I consider before pursuing this?

brake_booster.JPG

Measure the length from the back of the booster to the front face of the MC...unless it's less than 14.5" long, it ain't gonna work. Other than that, it should be pretty straightforward. Might need to hack the center hole in the firewall and drill two holes for 2 of the studs, but that seems to vary.

Thanks for this, I thought I had read about this somewhere but couldnt find any applicable info. Is there any reason why I shouldnt convert?

I emailed Steve at Ultrastang but never got a response. So maybe these master cylinders are compatible, its the boosters that require redrilling holes, different brake rod length and/or pedal lever, etc? I see Street or Track has one for 65-73 models:

master-cylinder.jpg

If I were to use one off a 93 mustang with a 2.3 could I use the proportioning valve and distribution block?

If I were to use one off a 93 mustang with a 2.3 could I use the proportioning valve and distribution block?

I cant answer that but I did buy a new 87-93 MC and it seems to fit. Steves site says the 87-93 will work. The new MC has three ports, the third on the bottom. What/where does that connect to?

010.jpg

I did get a note from Steve on this recently. He says the 99-04 V6 MC is a better fit for 4wheel disc than the 93-97 Fox. Hopefully this will work well with my $100 SSBC rear conversion kit I got over the weekend

Back