• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1971 Screamer 1 (Ratty Muscle Bike - Barn Find)

tarafied1

So as if we didn't have enough projects, I found this 71 Screamer, made by Murry exclusively for Sears. $100. All original but very rough. Gonna fix it up for my son to take to cruise nights, car shows with his Bobcat. Pretty Cool?
Screamer 1.jpg

I do need help!
I had a knock off of some kind as a kid but I don't recall what it was. It didn't have all the bling this thing has though! This thing has a shifter, springer front-end, banana seat, wild handle bars, rear slick, fade to red (or gold) paint, etc., etc.
I couldn't pass it up!!!

gonna leave it ratty in it's original patina. I put tires and tubes, a chain, greased all the bearings, replaced the sprocket on rear wheel (rusted solid) and the shfting mechanism. Frame was bent, straightened it. It rides good. Shift on frame is messed up. Need to figure it out but it lives!
IMG_5740.jpg IMG_5743.jpg

That is without a doubt the oddest looking bike I've ever seen. Gear shift looks like it has the potential to create some painful memories... :eek:

That is without a doubt the oddest looking bike I've ever seen. Gear shift looks like it has the potential to create some painful memories... :eek:
I have some painful memories still from my youth on a bike without the shifter, so yeah, I could see your point!

Reminds me of the Schwinn Apple Krate, Lemon Peeler and Orange Krate bikes....
yes, those were much more popular or at least they sold more. I see lots of those at swap meets. This is the only one of it's kind I have ever seen (in person)

If you found yourself with the "boys" wrapped around that gear shift as far away from the seat as it is, I dare say that you were in more trouble than just a mere "nut buster "

Back