• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

1st new car....

AzPete

Thought this might be interesting to see some price changes and such.

What was the first NEW car you purchased and when?

In March, 1973, I purchased the last 1972 Datsun 1200 Sport Coupe in Phoenix. Paid $2100.00 out the door. I turned 22 the following April.

This was just before the gas crunch and was originally purchased to be able to take a new car to England due to the fact I had Air Force orders to there. Then the orders were cancelled. It was a darn good car and I had it slightly modded.

August, 1977, I bought a dark jade green shortbed f 100, 302, auto, ---I was working at a ford dealership at the time, the van customizing thing was big also, I took it to another dealership and had captains chairs put in, side pipe exhaust, cragar rims, black tarp on the box, some light pinstriping, and had a sun roof put in it, then about a month later a couple of guys partying hardy ran a stop sign at dusk with their lights off and totaled it(also near totaled me) I never saw them, I had $6300. in the truck total.

I've never owned a new car. My first real job was working for Hertz Rent-A-Car and I drove new cars all day long. I hated them. Couldn't wait to get off work and back into my hot rod. The newest car I own or have ever owned is the 70 Shelby.

August 1984; new Mustang GT with the carb'd HO 302 engine, 3.08 rear gear. It was silver with a blacked out hood. That car was a blast to drive and what started me down the track driving road.

Had a lot of good times in that car! Sold it when we moved to Kansas in 93 :boohoo It was always considered "the other woman"

Forgot to add, paid $10,500 for it.

"Flysure1" said:
...I took it to another dealership and had captains chairs put in, side pipe exhaust, cragar rims, black tarp on the box, some light pinstriping, and had a sun roof put in it...

We will try not to hold that against you, Rod.

For me, it was a 2000 Ford Ranger.

My first new car was (and remains) my 1968 coupe. My father paid $2,923.54 not including tax as a Ford employee. The first vehicle I bought on my own was my 1985 Bronco, which I bought new on the Ford relative plan and paid about $16,000, I believe. Still have that one, too. My most recent purchase was my 2002 F-250 Superduty, which I paid $31,000 for on the Ford plan plus rebates. It would have been $40,000 otherwise.

1st new vehicle for me was a 1984 black and tan Ford Ranger pick up. IIRC, it was around 7000.00

I've never bought a new car, either. The closest I got is our current minivan 2006 Toyota Sienna, that we bought in early 2007. It was a used rental car. Doubt I'll ever by a truly new car.

I've never bought a new car except one we purchased for my wife about 9 years ago.

The '07 Explorer I am driving as a DD now I picked up at CarMax a couple of years ago with 3k miles on it. Saved a ton compared to a new one and it even still had the new car smell when I bought it.

Before that I was driving a GMC Jimmy that I bought when it had about 20k miles on it. I drove it for about six years and had just short of 100k miles when I traded it in on the Explorer.

Only new car "I" have ever bought is when the wife bought a VW Cabrio some years back. She bought it and a year later we found out we were having twins...obviously a couple of car seats and double stroller were not going to fit in there so we traded it and lost our ass on the deal in having only had it about a year. Learned my lesson.

Best car I ever bought was a Nissan 240SX. I got out of college and a woman my mom worked with was selling it. They had bought a place in the country and she needed a truck or suv so she was selling the car with about 30k miles on it. Picked it up from them for $10k and never did a thing too it besides a brake job at one point and other normal maintenance like oil changes. I drove it for about six years and put about 60k miles on it but then had to sell it when the twins were born because it was too small. Killed me to sell it because I was just getting it broken in at 90k miles and it was a lot of fun with the sun roof, five speed, etc. I really hate automatics and miss that car for that reason alone.

My wife had a new car when we got married in '80, which she bought when we were dating. First new one I bought was a Nissan Sentra Diesel (I think it was an '84). It was the first year this model had a diesel engine and was a gigantic turd. I blew a head gasket at 25k miles and Nissan wouldn't touch fixing it. That and the Mercury Sable, 2 cars later, were the biggest POS's I've ever owned.

I don't remember what I paid for the Nissan, but was naive, if not plain stupid, and paid sticker price.

The year was 1978, and my 1965 GT Coupe that was my first car (bought used in 1969 for $900) was totaled. 1978 was an ugly year for cars, so please forgive me. I bought a screaming yellow Civic 5speed, added some gauges and a sunroof, all for $5300. Sold it in 1980 when I moved to Mississippi from San Diego, because it had no A/C. Good thing I did, because it was rusting faster than the 65 Mustang ever did!

First new car was a 1997 F250 XLT with the 7.3L powerstroke diesel. Always had used cars before and after that one. My wife did buy an '02 Explorer new. We still have it, 145k miles! I sold the truck a couple years after I bought it.

My first new car was a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 2dr HT, bought I believe in February 1964 when I was a junior in high school. It was Wimbledon White with red interior, with a 352-4V (regular gas) and 3-speed manual on the column.

The first new car I bought on my own was in July 1966 and was a 1966 Mustang coupe, burgundy with black interior, C code 289, 3-speed manual, and AM radio. IIRC I put $200 down and had a 3-year note of $70 monthly.

I haven't bought a new car yet, and may never. The newest thing I've owned is my '90 GT, and I've yet to even drive that on the road.

1992 Taurus SHO. I paid $22,000 for it. It's the only new car I've ever bought, and even though I loved the car, I'll never buy a new car again.

First new car was my 1966 Mustang purchased on July 3, 1966 paid $2919 for it. Purchased from Williams Ford Top of the Hill Daly City

Re: 1st new car....
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 11:49:51 AM » Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Flysure1 on October 17, 2009, 11:33:14 AM
...I took it to another dealership and had captains chairs put in, side pipe exhaust, cragar rims, black tarp on the box, some light pinstriping, and had a sun roof put in it...

We will try not to hold that against you, Rod.

For me, it was a 2000 Ford Ranger.

Hey, it was the 70's. Actually it was not all that gaudy, I never went crazy with the striping, I still think 5 spoke cragars look good on about anything--lol

My first and only new car purchase was a 97 jeep wrangler. $18,500 in the summer of 96.
Otherwise I like to let someone else take the first depreciation hit.

My first car was a Volkswagen Golf in 2001, i was while living in Switzerland at the time and then drove it back to Ireland. I was 19 and couldn't have been happier. I remember i was shaking with excited when i picked it up.

Back