• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2 1/2" Exhaust system for my 65

I have a built 93, 302 efi that I will be installing a new set Ford Powertrain Applications long tubes on this weekend. Pulling 332 rwhp. I need a 2 1/2" exhaust to mate it with. I have been reading and there are a lot of systems on the market. In talking with the people at TrickFlow it needs to be mandrel bent. I need to hear from someone that has some experience and why they like that system. Want an X pipe.
Thanks,

A) Why an x-pipe? I mean, it's personal preference, but x-pipes are so good at evening out exhaust tones that they kind of get rid of that classic pop/crackle of an old school muscle car and turn it into the mellow even tone of a modern V8. I love them on the late-model OHC V8's, but not so much on classics.

B) Start calling muffler shops. I've never seen any reason why it's better to buy a pre-built kit than it would be to roll into your favorite muffler shop and have them weld up a system that fits your exact vehicle. You can ask over the phone if the shop offers mandrel bent options, and many shops will allow you to bring in your own mufflers. The price will be comparable to a boxed kit, and if the shop's any good, the fit will be much better.

If you really want it to turn out well, call a couple welding/fabrication shops as well. See if someone can tig weld you a stainless setup. You'll pay more for this option, but the welds and the system in general will be better/prettier. A typical mig-welded aluminized steel setup will work just fine, but it won't look as good.

you don't need mandrel bent pipe just like you don't need 332 RWHP.

non mandrel bent pipe crushes the tubing down and creates a smaller cross sectional area and thus a more restrictive spot. basicaly it's more about what you want. a lot of exhaust shops don't have mandrel bending equipment. i personally think a mandrel bent system looks nicer too.

starting with a kit is easier for an exhaust shop if you want a mandrel bent system (assuming they don't have that ability). it's easier to start with something and make that work than start from scratch. just like buying replacement sheet metal, it's easier to start from a crummy repop than it is to start from scratch.

"Starfury" said:
A) Why an x-pipe? I mean, it's personal preference, but x-pipes are so good at evening out exhaust tones that they kind of get rid of that classic pop/crackle of an old school muscle car and turn it into the mellow even tone of a modern V8. I love them on the late-model OHC V8's, but not so much on classics.

B) Start calling muffler shops. I've never seen any reason why it's better to buy a pre-built kit than it would be to roll into your favorite muffler shop and have them weld up a system that fits your exact vehicle. You can ask over the phone if the shop offers mandrel bent options, and many shops will allow you to bring in your own mufflers. The price will be comparable to a boxed kit, and if the shop's any good, the fit will be much better.

If you really want it to turn out well, call a couple welding/fabrication shops as well. See if someone can tig weld you a stainless setup. You'll pay more for this option, but the welds and the system in general will be better/prettier. A typical mig-welded aluminized steel setup will work just fine, but it won't look as good.

Mandrel bent flows MUCH better so says TrickFlow and Roush Racing, the two I have talked to. I have a local custom made set on mine now and for the 306 it was fine because it was only pulling 156 rwhp. Now the efi with the Trickflow heads area different animal. They cannot breath with what I have on there. I am going to get the stainless mandrel bent set welded at a local shop. The nearest shop that mandrel bends is 2 1/2 hours away and is near $1400 for stiainless from scratch. X and H is a standard discussion but I feel X has a slight edge at freeing the flow IMOH. As far as classic, it does not matter to me. The only thing left stock on my car is the body and currently the steering. Every other part is upgraded to modern race grade equipment. I personally like the sound of the Magnaflow X stainless system. My Flowmaster 40's are so loud I cannot turn the radio on and i have over 50 pounds of Second Skin sound deadner in the car.

"buckeyedemon" said:
you don't need mandrel bent pipe just like you don't need 332 RWHP.

non mandrel bent pipe crushes the tubing down and creates a smaller cross sectional area and thus a more restrictive spot. basicaly it's more about what you want. a lot of exhaust shops don't have mandrel bending equipment. i personally think a mandrel bent system looks nicer too.

starting with a kit is easier for an exhaust shop if you want a mandrel bent system (assuming they don't have that ability). it's easier to start with something and make that work than start from scratch. just like buying replacement sheet metal, it's easier to start from a crummy repop than it is to start from scratch.

My thoughts exactly!!!

Back