• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2005 Rim on 1966

Havok1

So, I'm working on the front suspension and brakes. I was able to get some 2005 rims that I'd like to use. The front brake set-up is off a 71. When we were doing a fit test of the rotor to rim before putting the brakes on the car, we noticed a problem.

The spindle hub bumps right up to the rim which means the spindle cap will protrude through the rim which in turn will make it impossible to use the rim ford cap. Should I be looking a different rotor? How can I get these rims to work?

Re: Wheel/Rotor Fit Problem

Spacer and longer studs? Looks like there's some pretty good positive offset on that rim!

Backspacing is incorrect for early mustangs. 94-04 were all the same offset IIRC, I had to use a 1" spacer on my front and can use the stock center cap. I used a set of hubcentric spacers with longer studs from ARP. The 05-???? use a different offset and I've heard of people using either a 1.25" or 1.50" spacer.

OK. Hadn't thought it through I suppose. I just knew people used newer rims on older cars. Going to start researching backspacing and offset.... At least stuff is going back on the car. :yah

Alright, this weekend we got the suspension and rear end on. Obviously I'm going to need wheel spacers. But trying to figure how much of a spacer make me :cens. Has anyone put 2005 or later rims on a 65-66? These are the V6 16"x8" stock rims and tires.

Back