• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

2011 V6 Conversion

sigtauenus

How long until somebody tries this?

305 HP, 30 mpg, and you can reach in and grab the oil filter, belts, alternator, etc, just like you can on early cars.

What do you guys think?

500x_2011_ford_mustang_v6_engine.jpg

I think the 2011 5.0 will happen first, now that Ford Racing sells the complete engine. Of course, it'll only be 26mpg. Probably have to chop the towers for either one.

M-6007-M50.jpg

Coincidentally.... my towers are already gone! While I'm only running a 5.0 (the original 5.0) based 347 right now, the main reason I chopped the towers during the buildup was to eventually install a DOHC 4.6, but now that the new 5.0 is out, who knows? I'm in no rush whatsoever to take on such an endeavor, but if the right motor comes along at the right price (read-cheap), I'll give it a shot.

"guruatbol" said:
So to do it you would need to install the computer and all the sensors too, right?

Mel

Yes. While this sounds like a daunting task, it really isn't once you dive into it.

What do you mean? How many sensors are there and would you have to run the stock exhaust and all the CAT stuff, of how do you get around that stuff?

Where do you put the computer and all the new wiring? Would you have to make your own wiring harness, or modify the stock 65/66 harness and merge it with the 2011 harness?

Sounds like a ton of stuff to get to....But, I like the idea of either engine in a classic. The V6 in a Vert and the 5.0 in my 65...

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
What do you mean? How many sensors are there and would you have to run the stock exhaust and all the CAT stuff, of how do you get around that stuff?

Where do you put the computer and all the new wiring? Would you have to make your own wiring harness, or modify the stock 65/66 harness and merge it with the 2011 harness?

Sounds like a ton of stuff to get to....But, I like the idea of either engine in a classic. The V6 in a Vert and the 5.0 in my 65...

Mel

Mel, aren't those the same questions that were asked circa 1987?

"guruatbol" said:

Mel

I imagine the new 5.0 motor going into a classic Mustang would be no different than swapping in an EFI 5.0 or modular 4.6 motor.

The new motors wiring harness would have to be connected to the car's original wiring, but with a 5.0 EFI this is only (IIRC) 3 wires. The EEC (computer) would need to be mounted somewhere safe and dry on the car (up under the dash is where my AL9 computer is mounted). Most of the engines "sensors" are mounted on the engine, but for those that aren't (if any at all) they can be mounted on the fender apron. Any deep breathing exhaust system would be compatable with the new 5.0/4.6 and the only modification necessary would be to add O2 sensors onto the exhaust pipes just downstream of the collector joint.

Where it get's tricky....

The modular motors are VERY WIDE. Removing the shock towers and switching to a MII style crossmember/front suspension provides the room to physically drop the engine into the car, but there are still other obstacles to overcome. Connecting the engine to a radiator is an issue, but it's an easy one compared to the brakes. Due to the width of the engine, a traditional brake master cylinder usually interferes with the rear of the mod motor's LH cylinder head. Relocating the master clyinder.... since it's connected to the brake pedal... as you can probably imagine isn't as simple.

As with anything else, where there's a will, there's a way. There's no obstacle that money can't overcome. LOL.

Here's a build thread link to an engineer who's building a radically altered ('67?) Mustang. I haven't viewed the link in over a year, but the work involved is "inspiring".

http://eleanorinspired1967mustangfastback.yuku.com/topic/439/t/My-Project-SuperCoupe.html?page=1

"guruatbol" said:

Mel

Plug and play if you have deep pockets:
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12284

I knew the crate engine was out, but didn't know they custom made a harness for streetrods/custom applications. Pretty cool.

Crate engine...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=11829

Wiring harness...
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=12284

Haven't found the link, but my dad told me he saw Ford or perhaps somebody else was making the engine mounts/brackets to retrofit into a fox body, which means its a short leap to the retrofit to the classic bodies.

Back