• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

289 won't turn over when hot

"silverblueBP" said:
I've had a solenoid on the apron AND a mini starter AND the battery in the trunk for 10 years without the first problem.
I believe Randy is just pointing out that most minis have a solenoid attached so the apron unit is not required for the starter.

and I was just pointing out that if you want to keep the original look, it works too. It's all good, besides, I wasn't sheep'n on Randy!

I'll just go back to re-stocking the store.

"silverblueBP" said:
and I was just pointing out that if you want to keep the original look, it works too. It's all good, besides, I wasn't sheep'n on Randy!

What did I do to be dragged into this thread????

"silverblueBP" said:

and I was just pointing out that you don't wire a mini starter exactly like the original. The big wire to the starter would go to the battery side of the fender solenoid and the solenoid side of the mini goes where the old starter cable went.

I do have it wired correctly. But I didn't realize that you could essentially bypass the starter solenoid on the fender apron. I guess that means you could totally remove the one on the apron if you had the motivation. I don't right now, but it's cool to know. I haven't had a chance to get back under the car and tighten up that connection at the starter. I'm guessing once that happens it will probably crank ok. You can bet I'll be back with more questions if it doesn't.

That said, it looks like I'll be getting new heads anyway so the project just changed scope. :thu

Got under the car this morning and tightened a few wires. The cable going to from the fender solenoid to the starter was a little loose at the starter. I also cleaned the negative battery post and the end clamp. Started right up! Took it around the block a few times, got it hot, and it still started right up. Looks like problem solved, I hope. Thank's for the help everyone.

Next up, AFR heads and one-wire alternator.

Back