• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$3000.00 ???

34isgreat

Talked to a guy today about painting Amber, told him all the body work was complete and all he needed to do was wet sand, tape up, seal and paint with two stage paint. After a 30 minute lecture about doing your own body work he told me I would have to do all the sanding, he would seal, paint, sand and buff entire car disambled for $3000.00? Is this excessive? I know he does great work but 3 grand sounds high, or am I just a cheap ass???

You are cheap...,,lol.....what is his warranty? That can make a big difference. Sounds like he wants to be able to slide out from under issues with the excuse "it was your body work that went bad"...... so ask the question.

He's probably going to have 2k in product depending on what he uses, 1200.00 on the low end.

I don't think he's far off.

"AzPete" said:
You are cheap...,,lol.....what is his warranty? That can make a big difference. Sounds like he wants to be able to slide out from under issues with the excuse "it was your body work that went bad"...... so ask the question.

If I was painting it I'd make it perfectly clear that there is no warranty. He has no clue what lies beneath the primer, how it was prepped, etc. If you had fried chicken for lunch one day and forgot to wash up there could be a nice greasy hand print laying under the primer just waiting to come back through in about six months.

The best painter on the planet can't make bad body work look good without redoing it himself. Bad body work can make a good painter look bad.

This post is not intended to denounce your body working abilities. Odds are you did a very good job of it.

Not offended at all. My body work is OK IMHO. I am not a pro but I have taken a auto body class at our local community collage. I do understand that 90% of a good paint job is the work done before the paint job.
I expect no warranty, I do expect a smooth paint job free of runs, orange peel, trash, and other paint application issues. If issues arise due to my body work I will accept that. Thanks to all for you help and input on this issue, I guess with the cost of materials $3000.00 is not all that excessive.

I agree on the body work issues. It is just that I have talked to a lot of painters who have said that any issues after paint is because they did not do the body work too. Just be careful.

I spent $3K just on paint materials and painted it myself!

"silverblueBP" said:
I spent $3K just on paint materials and painted it myself!

:wtf did you use lightweight paint ???? Did it help ( on the track ) ???? :stu :hide :hide

"34isgreat" said:
Talked to a guy today about painting Amber, told him all the body work was complete and all he needed to do was wet sand, tape up, seal and paint with two stage paint. After a 30 minute lecture about doing your own body work he told me I would have to do all the sanding, he would seal, paint, sand and buff entire car disambled for $3000.00? Is this excessive? I know he does great work but 3 grand sounds high, or am I just a cheep ass???

$3000? That's all? pfft. lol Seriously, that sounds reasonable. To do a paint job on my '66... it would cost about $5000-6000 if I have classicdoug's shop paint it. Keep in mind his restoration shop is more expensive compared to other places in town, but he does the best work. That price is after the major rust repair and most of the bodywork is done which wouldn't be known unless you strip the car down to bare metal and see what's going on. Once the major rust repair and major bodywork is done, that price includes:

The car gets primed and block sanded 2 to 3 times, at which time minor body problems are corrected which didn't get caught during the bodywork stage.
Jambs are painted
The car is reassembled (fenders, doors, hood, trunk) and all body gaps are set where they look good.
Final sanding
Masking
Sealer, color, and clearcoat is applied
Exterior is wet sanded and buffed.

Also, that $5-6k should include most if not all of the paint and materials.

So figure labor & materials for prep & painting.. $3k is reasonable.

"AzPete" said:
I agree on the body work issues. It is just that I have talked to a lot of painters who have said that any issues after paint is because they did not do the body work too. Just be careful.

Will do and again thanks for the input, based on all the ffeback I just got I will be block sanding more than once. Also I will be talking to several other paint shops.

"Sluggo" said:
If I was painting it I'd make it perfectly clear that there is no warranty. He has no clue what lies beneath the primer, how it was prepped, etc. If you had fried chicken for lunch one day and forgot to wash up there could be a nice greasy hand print laying under the primer just waiting to come back through in about six months.

The best painter on the planet can't make bad body work look good without redoing it himself. Bad body work can make a good painter look bad.

This post is not intended to denounce your body working abilities. Odds are you did a very good job of it.

+1

i would charge roughly $4K-$5K to do what you have posted. also wouldn't be any guarantees for anything below my work. i turn away a bunch of calls asking for just a quick "sand & shoot". as a painter, when the car is finished, the owner doesn't go around telling everyone, "i did all the bodywork, prep work & paid for a quickie paintjob". it always comes out that "so & so painted it" then everyone starts talking & the painter gets a bad name. not saying thats how your situation is, but its how painters think, at least the ones who care about their reputation.

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
+1

i would charge roughly $4K-$5K to do what you have posted. also wouldn't be any guarantees for anything below my work. i turn away a bunch of calls asking for just a quick "sand & shoot". as a painter, when the car is finished, the owner doesn't go around telling everyone, "i did all the bodywork, prep work & paid for a quickie paintjob". it always comes out that "so & so painted it" then everyone starts talking & the painter gets a bad name. not saying thats how your situation is, but its how painters think, at least the ones who care about their reputation.

OK I am a cheap ass!

"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
+1

Yep, I probably wouldn't touch it either. Nobody walks up to a car and says, "Dang, who did the bodywork?" Everyone walks up to it and says "Dang, who the heck painted that?" Then the shops name gets thrown in there and the reputation goes from there.

"Kats66Pny" said:
$3000? That's all? pfft. lol Seriously, that sounds reasonable. To do a paint job on my '66... it would cost about $5000-6000 if I have classicdoug's shop paint it. Keep in mind his restoration shop is more expensive compared to other places in town, but he does the best work. That price is after the major rust repair and most of the bodywork is done which wouldn't be known unless you strip the car down to bare metal and see what's going on. Once the major rust repair and major bodywork is done, that price includes:

The car gets primed and block sanded 2 to 3 times, at which time minor body problems are corrected which didn't get caught during the bodywork stage.
Jambs are painted
The car is reassembled (fenders, doors, hood, trunk) and all body gaps are set where they look good.
Final sanding
Masking
Sealer, color, and clearcoat is applied
Exterior is wet sanded and buffed.

Also, that $5-6k should include most if not all of the paint and materials.

So figure labor & materials for prep & painting.. $3k is reasonable.

If you can get Doug to paint gert for 5k you better jump all over it. He must be giving you a StangFix brother in law deal.

"Sluggo" said:
If you can get Doug to paint gert for 5k you better jump all over it. He must be giving you a StangFix brother in law deal.

She always gets a StangFix deal, but that's after all of the rust and the majority of the bodywork is done!

"classicdoug" said:
She always gets a StangFix deal, but that's after all of the rust and the majority of the bodywork is done!

So....is that based on 2020 dollars too...

"classicdoug" said:
Yep, I probably wouldn't touch it either. Nobody walks up to a car and says, "Dang, who did the bodywork?" Everyone walks up to it and says "Dang, who the heck painted that?" Then the shops name gets thrown in there and the reputation goes from there.

I will sign a sworn statment not to reveil who painted my car if need be.

Back