• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

$3000.00 ???

If you want a low cost paint job there are plenty of places to go to have it done. If you do all the prep yourself...correctly...this should be considered. Like the painters here have told you, the quality of the job starts under the color. Many of the guys that spray at places like Maaco, etc. have shot hundreds of cars. They can wield a spray gun. Then it is just a matter of finding such a place that uses or will use the paint you desire. You might also check around for places that rent booth time. Find one and then find a guy you can hire to shoot it for you. Maybe that guy over at the local Maaco?

Re: Re: $3000.00 ???

"AzPete" said:
So....is that based on 2020 dollars too...

Not likely. Not based on 1985 dollars either.

Based in reality in my opinion.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

IMHO, if you can repair sheet metal, hammer & dolly it straight, add filler and sand till you're happy...painting is the easy part. Buy a gun and go at it. It's not rocket surgery unless you want multi layer color, ghost flames!

not as easy as you think.... biggest thing is knowing what to do when something goes wrong. what caused it & what will remedy the situation. best advice i can give is practice, practice & more practice. start with solid colors & then try some metallics.

if you have access to a body shop, see if you can get some of their "leftovers" to practice with. paint is too expensive now to buy a bunch to practice with, but if you can get some leftover bits here & there, it will save you some money. one of the shops i used to go to threw away all the leftover stuff about once every two months (when the cabinet got full) they had a mixing system & mixed a full pint even if just touching up something. also check with your paint store about mismatched colors. if i'm getting a color matched & the first can is off a bit, they usually just give it to me free.

We use standox paint and clear. With primer, sealer,base and clear I'm at least 3k. Plus the labor. What has really kicked our butts is the disposal fees,tape,paper,and finally the gas bill from baking each car.

3k actually sounds cheap

Back