• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 5.0 Conversion Radiator Hoses

tx65coupe

I converted my car from an I6 to a 5.0 a few years ago. I have the reverse rotation water pump along with a serpentine belt setup. I have a Fluidyne 5.0 swap radiator. The upper radiator hose is on the passenger side and the thermostat housing faces almost straight up. The lower radiator hose is on the driver side.

I know that stock V8 replacement hoses will not work. I have tried flexible radiator hoses made by Gates called Vulco Flex. I just really do not like how they look at all and suspected the lower hose was leaking. I would really prefer to have molded hoses.

I was hoping someone else that had converted to a 5.0 had some part numbers for hoses they used that fit well.

I did find out that the Bronco II hose Gates 21736 works great for the upper, or at least it fits nicely anyway.

The 1970 Mustang or Maverick hose Gates 20702 is shaped right and fits the radiator, but will not fit the water pump. Its too small on that end. Its 1.5, and I need it to be 1.75 inches.

I need another solution for the lower hose. Anybody?

I tried a Gates 20674 for a 1970 Fairlane. I ended up shortening it, because I though it would work. Well, no dice. So I wasted 15 bucks.

The Gates 20702 would be perfect (I think), if it was 1.75 inches on both ends.

I'm really in need of some help here. I'm not sure what else to try.

"tx65coupe" said:
I tried a Gates 20674 for a 1970 Fairlane. I ended up shortening it, because I though it would work. Well, no dice. So I wasted 15 bucks.

The Gates 20702 would be perfect (I think), if it was 1.75 inches on both ends.

I'm really in need of some help here. I'm not sure what else to try.

Hey tx65, I suggested that hose to you. Sorry it did not work. Do you have the stock width radiator? I'm curious as to why that hose didn't fit.

If you are looking at the pic. in this link, the end of the hose in the bottom of the pic. should be positioned towards the water pump and the other end towards the rad. Then trim to fit. IIRC I just had to trim mostly from the rad. side so it would not rub the fuel pump where it turns up towards the waterpump. Hope this helps.

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto/pa ... 593=140889

I don't know if this will work for you but this is what I did. I have a 70 429 in my 67. Believe it or not the original upper 289 hose part number fit perfect, but the lower hose had a similar problem as you. The water pump end was bigger than the radiator end plus it had a weird angle to turn. I took a coat hanger wire bent in the shape I needed, a tape measure and the ID dimensions to the local parts store. I asked if I could go in the back and look at the hoses and I was able to find what I needed.

If it's the lower rad hose you are seeking, you might try one for a mid 80's Lincoln Towncar. That's what I use on both Mustangs. Did need a little trimming on both ends but fit just fine.

Craig

The Fluidyne radiator I have is a direct fit, but is thicker than stock. It is configured like an I6 radiator with the upper on the passenger side and the lower on the driver side.

The hoses that ended up working perfect for me with a little shortening are the Bronco II 21736 for the upper and a 1970 Mustang lower 20609. These are Gates brand.

No need to apologize for the hose not working. Not everyone's car is the same and half of hot prodding is trial and error.

Back