• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

302 connecting rod question

apollard

OK, so I'm building a roller block 302. I have the block, and a 28 oz crank to go with my '68 flexplate and damper. I have the rods from the '97 5.0. The book I have states all 302/5.0 rods are interchangable, but now my machinist says no, it'll be imbalanced. This is a driver, low rpm stock type engine, so I was not planning to rebalance. A search turns up conflicting information. So, I turn to the knowledge of the board - can I use 50 oz 5.0 rods on a 28 oz crank or are they different weights?

The 1990s rods are weaker, FYI. I'd bet they will work, the crank and balancer/flexplate dictate the balance, and if you are getting the assembly balanced, they will compensate for differing rod/piston weights anyway.

You will need a little machine work done to the rear crank snout to accomodate the 1pc seal on the roller block too.

Got the crank turned for the seal already. Just wondering about the balance - and trying to avoid another $$$ outlay for balancing right now if possible.

Back