• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

331 Question

Yes, but it doesn't take much to do it... probabaly about 30-45 minutes worth of work with a die grinder.
331_clearance.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it depends on the rods/bolts you end up using. If you use standard wave-loc rod bolts (press-in), you might not have to clearance anything. But if you use the better cap-screw rod bolts, you'll definitely need to clearance the cylinder skirts.

I used the ARP (didn't realize there are 2 types) and my 289 stroked to 331 didn't require any clearancing.
Jon

Then you used wave-loc bolts, which is perfectly fine. ARP wave-locs are pretty sturdy fasteners. I decided to run cap screw rod bolts (which require special rods) for just that much extra strength. When combined with my overkill stud girdle, I don't expect to have any lower-end problems short of 7k rpm (not that I spin it that fast).

It sounds like there is no clear answer on this one... I used the SCAT Rods with the 12 point bolts and clearancing was most definitely needed... I don't recall how much interference there was, but it did require some.

I can't say for sure, but I believe the 5.0 roller block or maybe 302s in general have a deeper cylinder wall as compared to a 289, so a 289 may not be a good reference point.

EDIT: FYI... Picture of block above is an '89 5.0 HO block.

I beam, same as the picture you posted... Mine have SCAT54 cast in. I still have the box the rods came in if you'd like the actual part #.

That's weird, marcus. I used those same Scat rods with ARP 12pt cap screws in my '67 289 block and I definitely had to clearance the skirts a bit.

Back