• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

347 Design Review

I also have a question for everyone. Total Seal rings - worth it? The stroker kit came with a good set of standard rings, but I see a lot of top engine builders using Total Seal, so I'm wondering if I should return these rings and go that route or not. Anyone have any experience with them?

I agree with you about forged pistons. I was having blowby problems with my engine and switched to total seal piston rings. The combination of proper gaping and the rings fixed my problem. If you are running piston rings with a small oil ring call total seals d get a ring set with a high tension oil control ring. Most kits seem to run a low tension oil ring which would magnify problems like I had.

I ended up calling the TS help line and got the specific part number I needed then called summit racing to buy. They had to add the product to their catalog and was then drop shipped from TS but it saved me money.

Regardless of what rings you run, I would call the ring manufacturer and find out the reccommended grit for the final hone... when I rebuilt my 302 using Speed Pro moly ring, Speed Pro reccomended a finer grit that what my machinist typically used... can't remember specific grits... 400 grit vs 320 grit sticks in my mind...

If your at the max HP limit of that cast crank, I'd recommend going with a forged unit. I have a 347... cracked the front journal of the cast crank, then went forged.

"Horseplay" said:
Invest the time it takes to make a phone call to Woody at FordStrokers.com. 1 (877)723-5487

All he builds are SBF stroker engines. Has been doing it this way for years. He's a good guy and will be happy to answer your questions and give you some advice. He pushes Trick Flow heads and has his own special set-ups. He does all his own machining in house as well. Simply, he is the best at building the type of engine you are after.

fordstrokers.com
i second this. Call Woody and no more guessing. He is the Man when it comes to this.

What oil pump would you guys use on this engine? I'm partial to Melling pumps, but open to others. From my research, I think just a standard volume and pressure pump would be fine and sap less power, but what do you say?

I've never heard anything bad about Mellings pumps. I have a standard volume Mellings pump in my 331. Working fine for me... have had them in several chebbies too.

"bravenrace" said:
What oil pump would you guys use on this engine? I'm partial to Melling pumps, but open to others. From my research, I think just a standard volume and pressure pump would be fine and sap less power, but what do you say?

It all depends on how much oil the motor bleeds off due to clearances. I looked up Melling Pumps and both the STD and HV have the same By-pass pressure, the pump for Boss 302's have a higher by-pass pressure. As I have mentioned before, my motor bled enough at idle that I lost pressure at idle, putting in a HV pump took care of the issue and allows me to run 10W30... I never liked to run real thick oil...

Back