• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

347 short block

eZ65

thanks in advance for any advice

Im looking to buy a short block 347. I already have brand new afr 185's #1422, airgap intake, 1.6 roller rockers. have not decided yet on a cam. probably xe274hr. any good companies or advice on purchasing the short block? I was probably gonna go with T&L and get all forged internals just incase i ever put some gas to the motor. I currently have a 5.0 roller block in the car that i will sell. Just dont want to make a bad purchase here. Car will be street drivin bout once or twice a week and taken to the track probably once a month.
Im running a 65 mustang w/ a roller 5.0 right now. street /strip AOD, 9'' detroit locker w/ 4.10s, 4 link rear suspension, mini tub.

thank you,
Dan

Yes i have given some thought to that but a kit will run me ~1,000$. A good short block will run me ~2,200 and i already have my 5.0 sold for 1,000.

i already have my 5.0 sold for 1,000.

Are you just selling the 5.0 short block and keeping all of the externals? You'll need to transfer all of the externals over to your new 347 short block.....

Go with the T&L with forged internals and you should be fine.

no im putting on new heads, intake, cam, lifters, roller rockers, yada yada yada. may or may not keep the edelbrock carb. but msd, spark plug wires, pulleys, headers, basically evrything not in the valvetrain will be re-used.

Do some homework on T&L, unless you have three to four months to wait for your engine. The Modified Mustangs or whatever they changed the Mustang magazines name to has an ad for Mustangs unlimited for the 347 short block and the price seemed fairly reasonable.

Another thing to check out..... that same magazine had an article on the new World Products Aluminum Man-O-War block. its a bit pricey at 4400, but its looks like one bad MoFo.

"Starfury" said:
"eZ65" said:
is the forged crankshaft neccessary?
Not really, unless you plan on exceeding ~450hp, at which point you should consider a stud girdle as well.
I may not exceed 450 on the first try but i sure hope to eventually. right now the setup up is just 185 afr's, airgap, 1.6 roller rockers, xe274hr, udp, shorty headers, 650 speed demon. probably be right at 450 i hope

Back