• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

351W setups

abrahamfh

Allright everyone, thanks to Craig I now have a stand for the 4v 351W that I picked up out of a 69 Cougar a few weeks ago. Before I decide to do anything further, I would really like to hear from you all what setups your all using so I can kind of get some idea as to which direction to head in and draft out a plan. I will post pics of the beast as soon as I get home this evening.
Thanks in advance everyone

(stuck at work on a Sat really blows... :po) LoL

Here's my build sheet.

23791070083_large.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"lethal289" said:
Take your time, and stroke that thing out to a 427. Give your 65 some serious hp. :craz

that's what i did, along with:
AFR 205 heads
roller cam
Victor Jr Intake
HP 950 carb
long tubes
actually a pretty streetable combo, although i wouldn't say it's great on gas mileage :lol

Abe:

First step is figuring out what you expect the car to be when you are done. Stock, a cruiser with torque down low where you can use it,hHigh end power for straight line dashes, or???? Talk to Johnpro about his 408 in Scary, considerable power but still streetable.

Keep us posted....

Regards, Jeff

I guess these would be my goals/hopes.

I would like to drive it once or twice a week.
(driving would include some freeway time)
I would really like to go to a track for some open track time a couple times a year.
(I have seen some open track footage and it looks like soo much fun)
I would like to take a nice drive down Highway 1 from SF TO SD and back.
(S.F. to S.D. would be once every two/three years. M.I.T.M. would be a must for sure when everyone is up for it.)

I guess these are just more of my dreams than anything but figured all these would need to be considered in trying to decipher which direction to go with the build.

Abe,
Being so young and odds are you will be going through a few Mustangs during your life, you can get as crazy as you want with this motor or car. If it's more important at this point to have a kick ass motor, then stroke the pup and enjoy time at the track. Yes for a weekly driver including freeway usage you will probably pay with gas, noise, etc. But then again, you do not want a wimpy car at the track. Will you be carrying multiple girlfriends like what Tiger does?, then a noisy motor, exhaust may be an issue.

Can you build something in between these two applications (highway vs track)?, yup. Just takes more research, etc.

My 69 GT350 4sp:

392 stroker
Aluminum GT40 heads, 11.1:1 (uses octane boost)
small cam - .224@ 0.050", 524" lift
Topped by Shelby dual plane (original to car)
600cfm Edelbrock
Shorty headers

Dont know the horsepower, but it turns 107mph in the 1/4
Idles decent at 800rpm
Pulls enough vacuum for the power brakes

Whatever you end up doing, stroke it!

I stroked mine to a 408, with AFR 185 heads, a Ford Racing F303 cam with 1.7 ratio Crane Gold roller rockers (giving it a lift of .0544/.0544. Using a Wieand Stealth intake and a Holley 750 DP. The tranny is a TKO-600 with a 3.89 9" 4 pinion traction-lok rear.

When I first built it, it dynoed at 354 HP and 416 ft. lbs. of torque at the rear wheels. I've done a lot of tuning and got a better carb since then, so I'm probably a little north of those numbers now.

It has run a best of 13.03 at 113.03 mph in the 1/4 (on street tires with no traction) and gets 18 mpg on the freeway.

What makes the car such a blast to drive is the torque. The engine idles about 900 RPM's and has 300 ft. lbs. of torque by 1500 RPM's.

When I was running the 351W in my fastback, it was a real kick in the pants. I was running a Clay Smith Cam with .560 lift and 258° duration at 0.050, flat top piston, a set of Cantfield R heads (2.080 intakes), a Victor Jr. intake, topped off with a holley 750.

I only had the car once down at the track, where I ran a 12.5 with it not tuned very good. In the process of doing that, when the bearing in my water pump exploded.... =^( I drove it every now and then on the street, but it was a bit much for every day driving, that cam really doesn't start to come in until some pretty high rpms. Now that engine is sitting in the garage, awaiting a new piston, but I'll probably never run that engine, since I've moved on to my 5.0 efi setup.

-rob

I haven't that luxery! I am glad that my 351W runs fine.
When i fired her up the first times , some beautiful fumes comes out of the tailpipe together with some condensation.
I think its tuned but doesn't know what the internals are.
All i can say is when my friend pulled up with his ZZ4 corvette , i can hold him .Thats enough for me.
I recalculate and think i runs 15 mpg with an auto trans and everage speed of 65 mph.

I'd put in a Performer RPM intake, small Lunati voodoo cam, headers, and do a balanced/blueprinted stock rebuild on everything else...that ought to make for a nice running cruiser without costing you a fortune. Heck, the early 351Ws were pretty darn good to start with.

Mine runs, err.....well doesn't run. :cry
I have a complete 351W built up sitting in the shop waiting to be put in. For a weekend cruiser I wouldn't get too crazy.

"chucky" said:
For a weekend cruiser I wouldn't get too crazy.
I'm of the opposite opinion. For a daily driver, keep it fairly simple and mild. But for a weekend driver, go all out with the motor and have some fun!! (insert evil grin and laugh here).

427 Stroker is a definate yes.

Be careful though. Some of the stroker kits sell you a short skirted piston. this will cause blow by like the old 347 stroker kits. make sure that the skirt is correct. We ran into this several times.

Personally for that use I'd build a fairly standard 393. Using your C90E-B block with the 9.480 deck height should be just about right. Normally on a 351W 9.503 block the aftermarket pistons (generally) are about .020 in the hole on a standard flat top piston like a Wiseco Forged PT031H4. You need to mill .020 off the deck for zero deck height. Using your 9.480 block would give you a zero deck motor with a quench at whatever you choose for gasket thickness. I'd go with a .040 to .045 gasket and you're golden. Of course you will have to get an actual measurement on your existing deck height to adjust for zero deck and not guess.
A 393 would use a 3.850 stroke crank that would drop in your block with your 351W rods, and uses an affordable standard compression height 302/5.0 piston. A Scat cast crank will be fine for a street engine that sees a track day every now and then. Check out http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-9351W10/ . You can buy an Eagle for 100 bucks cheaper but I wouldn't recommend it for a hot street engine. That's truck stuff. Spend the extra $100 and sleep well at night.
A set of AFR 185's would work well on this, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM air-gap with a 750 Demon would run sweet. Your Iron 69 heads are actually quite good (for iron heads) as they have the 60cc chambers and 1.84/1.54 valves, and large quench pads. Also the ports are considerably larger then any of the later model heads or early 302's. I'm saying this in case aluminum heads are outside your budget and you were thinking about upgrading later. A little grinding on the 69 heads can do wonders.
I would pick the cam only after nailing down the rest of the combo, and knowing weather you are running power brakes and an auto trans.
Of course long tube headers, a great ignition system, good cooling system etc. are all mandatory.

I have to qualify my response with this statement though; Asking "what engine I should build" is a lot like asking "what color should I paint my car".

"buening" said:
Would those heads happen to be for sale?
The jury is out at the moment. At some point I may want build another saturday night car with a radical 351W in it, and I'd kick myself if I sold 'em. Hmmm....I wonder how that would work in a kit cobra car??? :ecit But if I do, I'll let ya know.
-rob

Back