• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

393 Clevor questions-

S8NS 289

So i did some junk yard hopping and found a 84 truck 351W I can get for 200$, I want to build a clevor badly, so I bought some 2V cleveland heads for 50$ that need some cleaning & probably a valve job, Then last month I found a set of Austrailian Cleveland heads for 400$, I have 3 Questions
1. Should i clean up the 2V heads i have or buy the Aussie heads?
2.Should i consider boring the block .30 over and buying a 3.850 crank/Scat H beam Rods/ and making a 393 stroker?
3. If i decide to do #3^ do i have to buy Keith Black 110 pistons or can i fly cut another 302 piston

I'm not looking for a barn burner, I would be happy with 300-350hp I just want a Clevor, This motor will get alot of miles- What do you guys think i should do???

i don't see the need to stroke if your goal is 300 to 350hp.

however, if you're going to buy a new crank/rods/pistons, then stroking makes sense.

300 is pretty light goal for a 351 clevor IMO. I'm doing a daily driver 302 using a proven combo and it will be in the 320-330 range. Even the 'lowly' 2V cleveland heads flow some air, so they could go 350 easy, and with a good roller cam you can still be a daily driver. Many flat tappets will do the same.

If they are 4V heads, that goal is way light for the heads, and you are not going to get a good driver out of it. Stroking it will offset this somewhat, but you'll still not have the best combo.

Post these questions over at sbftech.com You will get a lot of real world advice from some serious guys. Tell them Bill sent you over.

Bill

"67 Fastback" said:
Post these questions over at sbftech.com You will get a lot of real world advice from some serious guys. Tell them Bill sent you over.

Bill

Good advice. Lots of great reading over there.

Honestly I don't see why you would use 2v heads on a stroker.

There has been a long standing debate about 2v versus 4v on a stock stroke motor for street use (where I always point out that the boss 351 was the fastest 1/4 production mustang for 20+ years), however once you increase the displacement by 40+ cubes there is no doubt IMO that the larger ports of the 4v and intake manifold selection that goes along with them are the better choice.

Back