• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

3G alternator

So I started working on the car again after most of the year off from it. I had already bought a 3g alternator, 200 amp fuse, etc. I tried to put it on this weekend and well the pulley that was on it was a serpentine. I swap pullies and then I found out I need a spacer. I got an old crush drain plug washer and bored it out a little bit and slid it on. Gave me good clearence except that now the nut barely starts to thread before it stops. Looks like my options a this point are to remove the washer and thin it down, just use the factory style alternator, or switch the pulleys to a serpentine set up.

I obviously have the serpentine pulley off of a 90's ford. Does anyone know what water pump and crank pulley I would need and if its a bolt on to the 351c motor? Seems like all the mods I had collected previously are not working out so well. I would still like to use the 3g if possible for the extra juice for the car depending on what I decide to do down the road.

I forgot I had bought a single groove pulley. Searched for it and found it and that one gives enough room to clamp it down. But I am still curious about switching to a serpentine set up.

Back