• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

4 speed shifter/ linkage help needed

pnandy

The 4 speed shifter on my 68 has probably never been touched nor would i assume any of the bushings have been replace.

AS a result the the shifter rattles pretty bad at higher rpms. if i squeeze the r-lock out and knob tight it minimizes the sound.

Im thinking that if i can get a linkage bushing bearing rebuild kit and grease up the correct parts(which one?) this should fix my problem how hard is it to get to these parts without a lift all i have is a floor garage jack and stands

Anyone is orange county whittier ca area that knows that doing could be a big help and also might be able to diagnosis my engine tick to

The rebuild kit should go a long way toward fixing your problem. Make sure to replace the two rubber washers that go on the shoulder bolts that hold the shifter to the controller.

All of this is accessable from inside the car without the necessity of a lift. Just remove the rubber shifter boot (and the center console if you have one) for access.

The rebuild kits are available from most Mustang parts vendors. For example, look at NPD's current on line catalog, page 133, part # 7208. If youir shifter handle is not held on with the shouldered bolts in the picture, it appears that they are listed at the bottom of that same page.

i've heard some rebuild kits dont offer all of the bushings, washers, springs, etc should i be safe with npd? or should i go get one from cal-mustang cuz there only 15 mins away no a big problem to drive and make sure i get all the needed pieces

Also it seems like its a tight space to work in (not a big opening from inside) is this a fairly easy job? or is it a pita or take a long time to do?

Thanks for the help jeff

The vendor is your choice.

As I said in my earlier post, everything should be accessible from inside the car once the rubber shift boot is removed. My knowledge comes from making this exact repair in my factory toploader with console equipped Ranchero. I presume that the Mustang should be substantially similar. If someone knows otherwise, hopefully they will chime in

Back