• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

5.0 in a 67?

rsalway

I found a mid 80's 5.0 motor complete. I wanted to know, if I keep everything as a mid 80's motor with the exception of converting it to carb, will a different radiator be all I would have to change? I know that there is more to it if I want to go to a v-belt, but thought the serp belt would work for now. Also, would not running power steering or A/C be a problem with sticking with the serp set up?

The 80's 5.0 has a different oil pan for the Fox body, also if it was EFI it might not have the eccentric for a fuel pump. The water pump on serpentine belt run backwards to the one with a V-belt. The dipstick goes into the oil pan rather than timing chain cover. The iron block & head castings are pretty much all the same however, so swapping early 289/302 accessories, brackets, oil pan, timing chain cover, etc. is easy.

As mentioned...there are differences.

The easy way is to swap the pan and oil pump for the old style. Plug the dipstick hole in the block. Drill....or remove the plug on the timing chain cover and install the dipstick tube there. This may put the dipstick in a crappy location based on the accessory that may or may not be located on that side. Use an electric fuel pump. Timing pointer may also be different. Water pump outlet may be different but there are ways to fix it.

Swapping to the old accessories is a pain based on getting the correct pulleys and such. I have dealt with two cars in doing this....I would have to really be hard pressed to mess with the combining of the years. One problem comes up with the 50 oz. vs 28 oz harmonic balancer to fit with the v-belt pulleys needed.

Yes, there are products out there to do the conversion but to me, they are over priced and not what I wanted to do.

Of course, you may have better luck as time changes what is available....

Before I added ac to mine I still had a serpentine on my 5.0 I think I still have my pulleys and old water pump frm it the waterpump was frm a crown Vic that was standard rotation and timing cover also came frm a crown Vic......that reminds me I need to post the updates to my 68

Also, would not running power steering or A/C be a problem with sticking with the serp set up?

No. Companies such as March sell AC/PS/AC&PS delete bracketry for retaining the serpentine belt.

Personally, if the mid-80's block you found is not a roller block I would not install it.

Since you have to go through all this work anyways you might as well find a block that has a roller cam.

There are way too many advantages to using a roller cam to justify the work and expense of installing a non-roller block.

Roller blocks are so common and cheap.

Back