• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 Headlight bucket repair?

I don't have an answer for your question, but thanks for posting that link. I didn't realize that kit existed and both of my headlight buckets are broken in that same spot. As a result of which my headlight bucket "doors" aren't aligning very well with the body line on the front of the fenders. Barring actual replacement of the buckets, it seems that trying to fix the existing buckets with the kit would be a lot easier. Any replacement bucket would have to be painted to match the rest of the car.

That kit looks pretty cool. I'm just curious how well they work, and what type of epoxy you adhere the tabs with. I may have to order some to test it out.

-rob

There is a cheaper kit on ebay that comes with JB Weld to attach the piece. If I get the kit, I'll be using body panel adhesive to apply the parts. I thought I read somewhere a while back on another way to repair these, been a while so I dont remember where.

I'm pretty sure that Mustang Monthly did an article on using the repair kit. I'm on my phone now, but I'll look for a link when I get home.

Along with a good body panel adhesive, would a few well placed rivets help fasten the bracket onto the bucket?

If you make a plate like the ones pictured with the JB Weld, you should be ok. I would drill for a couple of pop rivets, then mix the JB Weld (I prefer the JB Quick for faster setting) and smear it between the two pieces. Pop rivet it in place and then feather the edges with a bit more JB Weld. Do not forget the surface prep. Don't rush the set time and be sure to mix it proper.

My Dad and I have repaired many mixed metal type items in this manner and never had problems.....

mustang monthly did do a write up on the jb weld type repair and it seemed like an ok solution to a common problem. I bought reproductions and the quality was absolutely terrible. I ended up sending them back and finding originals that werent cracked. This took months of searching and a good size hit in the pocketbook though. One other thing to consider...I was talking to a mustang restoration guy and he said they use a sheet metal screw to attach that area...the details are really foggy but he said they did this on all resto's they performed. I am thinking he said to drill a small hole and run the screw upwards? HTH

I think the sheet metal screw is the repair I read about somewhere else. Not sure how it was done but seemed like a good solution. I've pretty much lost faith in repop parts, especially ones that are crucial to body fitment.

"daveSanborn" said:
Along with a good body panel adhesive, would a few well placed rivets help fasten the bracket onto the bucket?

I bought some aircraft-grade panel epoxy one time and it said only to use rivets to hold it down while it dried. It specifically mentioned that you didn't need rivets...I know one thing, that is some STRONG sh*t, I drilled and tapped a piece of the leftover stuff for the heck of it and it acted pretty much like you were drilling into steel. :ecit

This is my other thought... See in the picture, just below the crack, I'm thinking of running a sheet metal screw upward into the fender. I think this may be what I've read about before and what Napaguy was referring too. A short screw or maybe two should lock the bucket into place.
248_29_12_09_11_22_36.JPG

Thoughts???

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks to be the simpler method of accomplishing the same result.

All this talk of headlight buckets is motivating me to go out this weekend and mess around with mine some. I'm really not happy with the fender to headlight door bodyline.

Also, I have some brand new still in the wrapper headlight adjuster screws/hardware that I've been meaning to install.

Glad I could get you motivated! I know what your talking about with the headlight door not lining up with that crack there :po. Would be nice if you could test out this screw idea and give some feedback.

Ryan and others,
The mans name is Harland Lippold and his business is horse heaven. His email adress is HorseHeavn@aol.com

He can be slow but will get back to you via email. He should be able to give you a more thorough description of what they do.

I also got to thinking that sluggo should have something to add to this being that hes a body guy and has probably faaced this before. HTH

"hivewax" said:
i have a crack around that same location. i might try welding the pot metal and see what happens.

Good luck with that.... pot metal doesn't usually weld very well. I equate it to cast aluminum.

I've heard that it don't weld worth a darn, but what about brazing using like a brass rod or even doing some silver soldering to fix 'em? both my headlight buckets have had that piece totally broken off, so I'm stuck with either the jb weld solution or new re-poop pieces.

Back