• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 Paint Color Question

I think you mean 65 Prairie Bronze vs 66 Antique Bronze? For I do not see a exterior color called antique gold. Nevertheless even though Ford seemed to have used the same color letter "P" for both year colors, their paint color numbers are different.

65 Prairie bronze = M1738
66 Antique bronze = M1910

Still, Is it possible for these two colors to be the same? Wondering minds need to know.

66 Antique Bronze looks lighter, I like it better myself.

1965-ford-ppg.jpg

1966-ford-ppg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, sorry, I meant Antique Bronze. They look the same in pictures, but I'm wondering if they are really different and in what way.

Per Charles (caspian65) who's one of our concours guru's "Craig, they are different", which makes sense otherwise I wouldn't think Ford would have created two different numbers for the color.

The problem is that the color varies with the photo, monitor and actual car. That Prairie Bronze looks darker than my car does, and mine has the original paint. I can find PB and AB photos that look pretty much identical, and then ones that look like the two above. Guess I'll just have to get some paint and spray half my spare hood with one and the other half with the other.

I think both of those colors also look different in different light, so having them side by side may be the only/best way to compare them.

"bravenrace" said:
I think both of those colors also look different in different light, so having them side by side may be the only/best way to compare them.

I couldn't agree more, way to many factors that determine the final color. Can't go wrong either way, they both look nice.

The top picture in my post is the same car that's in my avatar. I guess that should tell us something about internet pictures!

Are you curious as to the difference or are you trying to match what is on your car? If you're looking to match your current color, go to you local auto paint supply store and have them match your car.

Back