• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65-66 Side Vent Restore Inquiry

MarkStang

I have almost all of the pictures to be able too do a pictorial on the restore of the side vent system of the 1st generation FastBacks. This is a pain in the arse if you taken the time or are considering tis insane task Some things I found that were interesting about the whole system would be that there is A LOT OF PARTS, and a lot of Mcguivering.
I am talking about the whole shabang. The outside Vents, the middle slide louver system and the inner sail panels chrome restore. Between both sides I think there turned out to be well over 100 parts alone to make what turns out to be an amazing and complex contraption that ads function coupled with an image that no doubt draws to the mystique look of the early Fastback into legend status, yet separates the water from air at the same time. Just putting feelers if there is an interest here for this.

Interesting side note: The 69-70 did not have these and if they did I think they would have been the :pbj __________________

Hell yeah, that would be great! I know that mine are in pieces, and I have no idea the best way to restore and reassemble them. Thanks!

Yes, definitely interested. Mine were disassembled by the painter back in the dark ages, and I've never been sure about them. Post a link if possible.

Ok , thanks for the interest. I will start putting the picks and notes together. It will take some time but I knew there could be interest. I never had the courage to put mine in a box because there were SO many darn parts. So mistakenly as I took the vents out of the external vents one by one for painting body color I left them in the correct order on the correct side of the car on the fold down seat... the newly carpeted and assembled fold down seat. Well :fbomb

when I lifted the first vent piece months later the carpet was black underneath , no problem since the carpet is black. the fact is the carpet around it was already brown from fading. I digress. Wait for my step by step and you will have a link to a correct assembly of parts. As far as concourse correct puddy and stuff like that I have no idea, but I will get your pieces back together with piece of mind. Laurie re-chromed my inner sail panels so I will have some insight there too as to how it can be done to a part that is not in reproduction , so perfection is up to each of you to dismantle it if you have that pesky pitting look.

Heck yes Mark!

Sam put together an awesome package of information detailing the rear fold-down seat that has been and will be for years to come used by Mustang guys. Having a package of information for the side vents would be awesome!

that would be great. the side vents for the '65-66 look friggin' awesome... the best IM-humble-O of all generations. i will never replace them for plexi-glass or aluminum panel.

I blame it all on Cloney (BobV here).

I used to drool all over my keyboard looking at his White/Blue 2+2 in his sig pic. I can't remember if he removed his side vents or not, but I'm blaming it on him anyway.

I still have all of the side vent pieces stored away in a box somewhere.

Back