• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

'65 6cyl Steering components

nymustang

A mustang buddy was over yesterday checking out the fastback and he mentioned that it still had the I6 steering components on it. I know it is a converted t code but I have no idea how to tell the difference between the I6 and V8 steering components. Anyone have a good way to explain it to me? Thanks folks.

The one thing I know is that the inliners had a 4 bolt system for the wheels whereas the V8's all had 5 bolts. I believe there are differences in tie rods and other suspension/steering items, but the number of bolts for the wheels are easy to see.

Its got 5 lug drums up front now so that has already been changed. I know I've heard there are other components that should be changed I'm just not sure how to tell which other components I have.

A mustang catalog , like NPD , is a good source to find out if there is a difference .
I personnely learned alot by reading and studying catalogs.

As far as I know, if you already have swapped from 4 to 5 lug up front, there is no other differences.

"cmayna" said:
As far as I know, if you already have swapped from 4 to 5 lug up front, there is no other differences.

Believe that the tie rods are smaller? not sure what else.

Look at your Pitman Arm coming off your steering box. If it has ONE arm attached to it its V8 linkage. If it has TWO arms attached to it it's still 6 Cyl linkage.

Back