• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Fastback Twin Turbo (mid mount) build.......

Yeah, in my younger days I would have already cleared that place. Now that I'm older (and wiser), I have calmed down quiet a bit. I have heard several complaints about this guys work but unfortunately it was well after he had the car. Now for some good news. I have worked on the tune over the last couple of days (and learned a lot), mainly the start up and idle and made some great progress (found several mistakes). Without the use of a wideband, I have been able to dial it in to where it easily starts and idles with only a turn of the key (I know where all the tables are now) and maintains a good enrichment thru the complete warmup process (fuel enrichment vs ECT). Its my understanding this is a very critical area and once this is whipped, the rest is a little easier. Also, I have been in contact with another tuner that I feel sure is on top of his game (IT engineer). Hopefully we'll be able to stick a fork in it by end of the week. I keep you guys informed on whats going on.

first off thanks for the inspiration of a transformation from a sleepy 6 to a v8 terror.

second what program are you using for the tuning? I was using SCT Xcal2 for my 2000 cougar and had the pro racer package and I could change everything with the tune. I also had a LM-2 wideband and guage. Borders was a good resource for getting books on tuning and i have some pdf files if you want anything

Thanks.....Its a Pro Flow 2 with B editor. It mimics the Accel and Fast with the exception of no VE table. The problem for me is I simply don't have enough experience to set the fuel and spark tables (especially under boost) and this is where someone that has been around the block can quickly go thru these. On the "E" car, it took the guy about 45 minutes on the dyno to tune with the Accel program and the car has run perfect ever since. He also did several cold starts. I have considered buying a UEGO but really don't want to spend the money since once its tuned its no longer needed. Sure, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just a quick update. The car has seen some dyno time and has been under boost. It looks like its gonna land somewhere in the mid 500HP range. We did encounter a slight problem with the oil bypassing the turbo seals and poofing out some serious smoke (still learning). When I built the car I didn't restrict the oil line size in the oiling system and it seems there are way too much for the scavengers to handle (1/32" opening). We plan on installing a couple of nitrous jets (.06) to restrict the oil to about half a gallon a minute. More to come...................some more photos
002-52.jpg

005-21.jpg

001-48.jpg

Here's the final on the car. Its been a while since my last update but here's how she turned out. I made the decision to change the turbos to a smaller size for quicker spool. Based on the advise of a great tuner, I settled on .42/.48 and man do they spool fast. They come on at around 2800 RPM. The oil problem of bypassing the seals was solved with the addition of .065 oil restrictors and there is no bypass at higher RPMs (there was no leakage at lower RPMs). The cam is a little lumpy for a boosted application but it sure sounds good (if I were doing it again I would use a milder cam). It idles OK at 800 which is the target RPM with a AFR of 12.8 (big cam). On accelerating there is no no ticable lag with the installation of the smaller turbos and there is a great "wow" factor when they spool up. Actually they sound off when the pedal is first pressed and when cruising there is a constant wine. I did end up using a boost controller to set the boost lever as this worked out to be a better way of controlling both wastegates and keeping them in since (which to me is an absolute with twin gates). I did learn that only wastegate would be necessary if placed in a crossover pipe and will maintain a good constant level at least on smaller turbos. When using two gates, the boost level will usually stop when the gate with the lowest spring pressure opens. The highest IAT we seen was 131* during hard pulls and the cooling system seemed to keep everything in check. So I'm guessing that mounting the turbos in the rear greatly reduces the intake air temperature and that was one of the goals of this build. There was a slight oil leak at the valve cover and a small coolent leak at the hose or heater valve is leaking which I will take care of soon. The final dyno numbers came in at 353 ft/lbs of torque and 325 RWHP. Doing the conversion the flywheel hp was 403 and 458 ft/lbs of torque, not too shabby for a 302 (the goal has been met). These numbers were done after lowering the boost a couple of pounds and taking about 3* of timing out for safe day to day driving. I think the car now can be run as hard as you want to with little chance of damage tothe engine. One a side note, there was one pull where the boost went up a little more than expected when first setting the controller and busted 400 hp, that was a shocker to both of us. The tuner said that 550 RWHP would be no problem simply by turning the knob but I was afraid to let him go that high. I feel once you go past 400 and you can get it to the ground, its useless. Another thing I learned there was about a 1.5 lb loose of pressure from the turbos to the intake. I am guessing that the charge air is giving up some heat on the way up which should make it denser. I'm well pleased with my homemade rear mount turbo system ans it seems it worked out pretty darn good. I just hope she can keep it under control.

After my wife took a spin in the car she said that she would never drive it again. She got into the boost driving on a straight and I think it scared her. She also remarked it was too loud. Well, she was the one that said she "something different". Oh well, I don't mind to drive it and the daughter can't wait to get behind the wheel. So, since she is not going to be driving it, I cranked the boost back up to 10.5. That should put the HP and torque back at 400 and 450. Also I have tweaked the A/F to try to improve fuel mileage. Now it seems to get around 22-24 on pure 93 pump gas (no E-10). The car is an absolute blast to drive and it really turns heads (noisy I guess). I now have put about 1200 miles on the car and it has ran great. I did adjust the injector phase quiet a bit throughout the RPM band and it now seems to be dead on. The only thing left to do is TIG the custom intake cover. Hopefully I can get this done this week. I hope you readers have enjoyed this thread as I did include the mistakes as well as the positives. Here are the final (except the intake) pictures and a video of how she drives.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQJs5KoHbls

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 713
  • 002.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 51
  • 003.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 46
  • 006.JPG
    427.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 008.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 017.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 25
more

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 010.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 011.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 013.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 21
Great video. It sounds nice and healthy. The area where you live has great scenery, but too many winding curves for me!

Doug

Back