• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

65 Original factory air conditioning front end choices..

Well the times has come to install air conditioning into my 65 Convertible. Last summer I sent my under dash unit to Classic Air and had it 100% restored. It took months but it came back perfect. What I don't have yet is all the under hood components. I'm getting ready to order the compressor and related brackets, pullys, belts, dryer, hoses and dryer. My car isn't 100% original, but it looks like it is and I'd like to keep it that way.

Here is my dilemma, I have the original Ford compressor. I do NOT have any of the mount brackets etc. I have heard the modern Sanden compressors are far superior to the original compressors. It would probably cheaper to just buy a new Sanden rather than restore my old compressor.

Does anyone have recommendations as to how I can make this modern compressor look not so out of place? I know the Sanden is unpainted aluminum, and the Classic Air mount is a welded up affair. If I could find an original mount, would the Sanden fit? Is it practical to paint the Sanden engine black? I am going to R134A in lieu of R12.

Thanks all,

Henry

Don't even ask why a Convertible in Seattle needs air. This was a California car and eventually I'm taking it somewhere warmer.

The efficiency/reliability of a modern AC system should be far superior to refurbishing your 40+ year old AC components. Unless you're building a concours car, modern components (compressor and receiver-dryer) painted with black paint would appear very similar to the original system, but operate more efficiently. I'd relay your desires to Classic Air and see what they can come up with that will fit into your needs/wants.

I agree with the old technology vs new. I'll give Classic Air a call tomorrow. Although NOT a concours car, my car looks original and I want it to stay that way. The under dash unit looks great and I can wait to install it along with my restored center console.

I ordered a Sanden compressor, all hoses and the condenser a few days ago. I found an original 65 compressor engine mount on e-bay. All I need to locate now is an original 3 groove crank pulley and a 2 groove (for PS car) water pump pulley. I also need the idler pulley/bracket. The search continues. Does anyone know the correct fan belt size for the A/C compressor (Sanden)? I assume all my other already installed belts don't change.

My search for parts may be smaller than first thought. I took another look under the hood and it appears that I already have the correct two groove water pump pulley installed. The diameter measures (as best I could measure installed) about 5 5/8". Looking at the pulley specs, I think I have the right pulley. I think I only need the 3 groove crank pulley and idler pulley. The search continues.

Have you tried local parts stores for a new idler pulley and bracket? Used to get them for my Dad's '72 F100 302.

Sounds like your setup is going to be similar to mine. My A/C is factory with the Sanden swap (w/PS). Let me know if you could use some pictures of anything specific.

"timbeam" said:
Sounds like your setup is going to be similar to mine. My A/C is factory with the Sanden swap (w/PS). Let me know if you could use some pictures of anything specific.

With the Sanden, It looks like I will NOT need the idler under the compressor, only the adjustable one, right? I measured my WP pulley, and I think it is 5 7/8" diameter or so. I believe this is the right one to use (it is a 2 groove), right?

I think you are right. That's all I have - just the one idler. Here's the way it breaks down on mine:

Inside belt - Crank (3-belt pulley), Water Pump (2-belt pulley), Alternator
Middle belt - Crank, Water Pump, Power Steering Pump
Outside belt - Crank, Compressor, A/C Idler

I am fairly sure the Water Pump pulley is 5 7/8".

Attachments

• Idler.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 27
  • hidden.jpg
    hidden.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
Back