• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

&^*($)%#(*%&

Sluggo

I drove the car home from work the other night (1 friggin mile) and before I made the driveway I started hearing a nasty rattle.
I thought the t/o bearing might be a little loose. I drove it back up there today and found the noise was coming from under the
left valve cover.

Pull the valve cover and find the #8 exhaust valve rocker loose. I adjust it, start it up and all is well. Drive 7 miles to my buddy's
shop and at mile 6.5 it starts rattling again. Pull the cover again thinking I did not tighten it properly, and readjust it. It is quiet
for a few minutes and starts at it again. :wtf

After several attempts to quiet it, it becomes obvious the the set screw in the poly nut is not seating inside the nut and is
sticking out above it.

So I either have a lifter that has dished out on the bottom or the cam lobe is going flat. Pushrod is straight, roller rocker is fine,
oil pressure is good, screw in stud tight, valve travels freely, not many options left.

Went cam shopping at Jegs. Got a Lunati 292/292 .512/.512 coming for it. That should make it nice and lumpy. :)

It would be hard to put it in upside down 8 times. I think I would have got lucky at least once. :craz

What makes you think you wiped a lobe on a roller cam? That's right next to impossible. Now, if you were looking for a good excuse to buy another cam, that's another story, and yup that thing is flat as a pancake.

I doubt a cam swap is going to fix your problem. I'd be looking closer at that rocker.

I've been wrong before, but I would CERTAINLY pull the intake and see what's going on before ordering a new cam.

Not a roller cam, roller rockers.

Both the cam and lifter are :fbomb ed Only one cam lobe and one lifter damaged. Bad Cam?

:ep

That looks nasty!

You should man up though, I have a 347/347, .555/.555 in my little 289 :pbj

Sorry about yer damage Sluggo, I went through something similar last year, but it was my own fault.

Lumpy idle ftw! Good story to tell your wife to justify the new cam...lol.. That is exactly why I went with the '90 5.0 HO when it was time for a rebuild. No more cam problems....roller cam is great! :vic

My bad ... I thought you were saying you wiped a lobe on a roller cam. Yeah, that cam is :fbomb 'd up. Now you can put that Lunati in, or go with a roller cam if the funds are available.

Oh damn brutha! That sucks. Poor oiling in that area?

Sorry I didn't get back to you when you txt'd. We were in the middle of painting. Then I forgot latet. Because I was still painting.

"70_Fastback" said:
Oh damn brutha! That sucks. Poor oiling in that area?

Sorry I didn't get back to you when you txt'd. We were in the middle of painting. Then I forgot latet. Because I was still painting.
She's already domesticating you... :sad

Sorry about the carnage Sluggo - are you pulling the motor or just changing oil & filter and keeping your fingers crossed...

"BobV" said:

It was actually a 50/50 decision. We were covering the existing color: "Ex-Wife Lavender"... it's now "Manly Green"

that sucks...been there done that. I wiped out #1 intake on my cam...It does make an interesting conversation piece as a paper weight at work. But it was a good excuse to upgrades cams. And no I didn't wipe out my cam purposely to get a new one. that's my story and I'm stickin to it!! :lol :lol

You could throw a little bit of Great Stuff on the lobe and get it back into shape....

"BobV" said:

Sorry about the carnage Sluggo - are you pulling the motor or just changing oil & filter and keeping your fingers crossed...

Keeping my fingers crossed. And I'm never putting Mobil1 in anything again.
Always use Castrol. Why I decided to change just one time I do not know.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug or have you opened up the filter? Hopefully all the shavings were trapped by either :scar :scar

Looks like the oil filter got most of it.

I may pull the pan just to be sure.

It was still running 70 psi of oil pressure. Just found out that running synthetic was a bad idea, at least as far as the cam is concerned.

how many miles did you have on that motor? i run synthetic in everything i own after a couple break in changes to seat the rings etc. with petroleum based castrol gt. may have been an issue with the synthetic breaking down the petroleum based films & coatings already in place.

May not have ever been broken in properly.

There's a story behind the car. Short version, they put the stroker in it in 1999/2000, it ran for a very short period.

They thought the timing chain jumped, sat on stands until 07 when I got it. I took it apart found broken roll pin in dizzy.
Replaced the roll pin, changed the oil pump from a high volume to a normal pump, put it together and started it up.

Back